Priming in Keg
- Halifax_Jeff
- Verified User

- Posts: 553
- Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
- Name: Jeff
- Location: Beaver Bank
Priming in Keg
I've got a cider I really don't want to bottle and I have an extra keg I can use. I noticed a few older posted that say to use about 1/2 of the priming sugar... what's the rationale behind that? I can't seem to find a definitive answer other than the fact that you can correct your level of carbonation with co2 later if need be.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Priming in Keg
I believe it has to do with the amount of head space per volume of beer in the container. I use Beersmith to get my quantity of dextrose, and for the keg, it is approximately half of the amount for bottles. Works fine for me.Halifax_Jeff wrote:I've got a cider I really don't want to bottle and I have an extra keg I can use. I noticed a few older posted that say to use about 1/2 of the priming sugar... what's the rationale behind that? I can't seem to find a definitive answer other than the fact that you can correct your level of carbonation with co2 later if need be.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- Halifax_Jeff
- Verified User

- Posts: 553
- Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
- Name: Jeff
- Location: Beaver Bank
Re: Priming in Keg
Didn't even think of using Beersmith to figure it out. Thanks for the reply!LeafMan66_67 wrote:I believe it has to do with the amount of head space per volume of beer in the container. I use Beersmith to get my quantity of dextrose, and for the keg, it is approximately half of the amount for bottles. Works fine for me.Halifax_Jeff wrote:I've got a cider I really don't want to bottle and I have an extra keg I can use. I noticed a few older posted that say to use about 1/2 of the priming sugar... what's the rationale behind that? I can't seem to find a definitive answer other than the fact that you can correct your level of carbonation with co2 later if need be.
Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests