Page 1 of 1

Priming in Keg

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:40 pm
by Halifax_Jeff
I've got a cider I really don't want to bottle and I have an extra keg I can use. I noticed a few older posted that say to use about 1/2 of the priming sugar... what's the rationale behind that? I can't seem to find a definitive answer other than the fact that you can correct your level of carbonation with co2 later if need be.

Re: Priming in Keg

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:52 pm
by LeafMan66_67
Halifax_Jeff wrote:I've got a cider I really don't want to bottle and I have an extra keg I can use. I noticed a few older posted that say to use about 1/2 of the priming sugar... what's the rationale behind that? I can't seem to find a definitive answer other than the fact that you can correct your level of carbonation with co2 later if need be.
I believe it has to do with the amount of head space per volume of beer in the container. I use Beersmith to get my quantity of dextrose, and for the keg, it is approximately half of the amount for bottles. Works fine for me.

Re: Priming in Keg

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:54 pm
by Halifax_Jeff
LeafMan66_67 wrote:
Halifax_Jeff wrote:I've got a cider I really don't want to bottle and I have an extra keg I can use. I noticed a few older posted that say to use about 1/2 of the priming sugar... what's the rationale behind that? I can't seem to find a definitive answer other than the fact that you can correct your level of carbonation with co2 later if need be.
I believe it has to do with the amount of head space per volume of beer in the container. I use Beersmith to get my quantity of dextrose, and for the keg, it is approximately half of the amount for bottles. Works fine for me.
Didn't even think of using Beersmith to figure it out. Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk