Sparge water temp
Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:54 am
I have a question about sparge water temperature. I use a rectangular cooler for a mash tun, with a sparge system under the lid that allows me to add sparge water without removing the lid. I use Beersmith for recipe design with single infusion. Beersmith recommends sparge water temps of 75.6C, but I usually heat to 78 as I figure I lose a couple degrees in the ~1ft between lauter tun and mash tun.
Here's my question: My grain bed never rises above 70C during lautering. Should I be adding significantly higher temp sparge water to get the grain bed temp up around 76C? I always hit my gravities, but have read the grain bed should be at 76C during lautering. My apologies if I confuse 'sparge' and 'lauter'.
How would this lower temp during lautering affect my beer?
Thanks!
Here's my question: My grain bed never rises above 70C during lautering. Should I be adding significantly higher temp sparge water to get the grain bed temp up around 76C? I always hit my gravities, but have read the grain bed should be at 76C during lautering. My apologies if I confuse 'sparge' and 'lauter'.
How would this lower temp during lautering affect my beer?
Thanks!
