Page 1 of 1

Bored with brewing?

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:38 am
by Broob
I had a question for the guys who have been brewing long-term, say more than 10 years. Is it possible to ever to bored with brewing? I've been brewing for 4 years I think and I'm still quite obsessed with it. If I'm not brewing, I'm thinking about brewing, reading something brewing related, listening to a brew podcast or planning a recipe. Just wondering if the honeymoon ever ends? Hope not. :rockin:

Re: Bored with brewing?

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:31 pm
by GAM
Yep. But I didn't stop. I just reduced the effort and time I invested.

Especially with family and work requirements it can be taxing.

After seeing Mitchel's Grain Father in operation I think that may be an option for some.

S

Re: Bored with brewing?

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:51 pm
by Tim Gregory
I go through phases. I'll go months with no interest in brewing (just drinking!) then I'll brew every weekend for a month. I find I have spent a lot less time reading and researching and stuff. The last few issues of byo are sitting on my coffee table waiting for me to pick them up. I used to blast through everything I could find.

Re: Bored with brewing?

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:44 pm
by mckay75
I got bored (lazy) and didn't brew for awhile a couple years back...especially when I was bottling everything. Having gotten to know and become friends with some of the Truro crew has forced me to continue brewing regularily and try to up my game a bit. There's a lot of beer talk amongst us...and keeps me interested...I'm very grateful for that. Having swore off purchasing beer from the NSLC has helped with motivation as well...I have no choice but to brew!

Re: Bored with brewing?

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:56 pm
by BBrianBoogie
Like Tim, it goes in waves for me. Both guns blazing lately, but I'm sure a lull will happen again at some point. Same on the reading/research end of things as well, just don't do much anymore honestly.

Re: Bored with brewing?

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:19 pm
by amartin
I don't know if I've ever really been bored with it, but there are definitely times where I don't feel like brewing. In those times I remind myself that the alternative is to give money to the NSLC, which I avoid as much as possible.

Most of the time though, I'm as obsessive as I've ever been.

Re: Bored with brewing?

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:31 pm
by Broob
I'm definitely still obsessed. Nice to know that getting bored is only temporary.

Re: Bored with brewing?

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:23 am
by McGruff
Brewing since 1979. Nope, still brew on a regular basis. I just take a quick look at around Premier of Ontario with her addiction to taxes on everything and I immediately get out the brew pots.