Page 1 of 1
Whats everyones favourite kinds of yeast
Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:14 pm
by Reillisson
I am new to brewing and since I have started I have used Wyeast for everything I have had decent results. I was going to brew an ESB tomorrow but the yeast that I wanted was not available which prompted me to ask everyone else if they have any preferences between different brands, dry vs wet, etc. I'm trying to learn as much as possible so any feedback is appreciated.
Re: Whats everyones favourite kinds of yeast
Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:37 pm
by Woody
It's all preference. I like dry yeast for last minute brew sessions and liquid yeast for something different. There is no right or wrong answer. For an ESB I'd want to go WLP002 but if I didn't have it on hand I would go Windsor dry yeast or S04. Do a double batch and see what you like best. Careful going down the home brew path it's a slippery slope.

Re: Whats everyones favourite kinds of yeast
Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:46 pm
by amartin
I've brewed an awful lot with liquid yeasts, but I've been using dry ones more lately, just because they're convenient and they're of better quality and variety than they were when I started brewing way back. Liquid yeasts can be great, but it's important to make a starter to get a good pitching rate.
That said, I really like Wyeast's 1469 West Yorkshire, 1272 American Ale II and 3522 Belgian Ardennes. For dry yeast, US05 is good, and K97.
Re: Whats everyones favourite kinds of yeast
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:35 am
by McGruff
Wyeast 1098 and US-05 for Blonde Ales, Wyeast 1469 for an ESB and WLP833 for Pilsners.
Re: Whats everyones favourite kinds of yeast
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:14 pm
by Reillisson
Thanks everyone the input is much appreciated.
Re: Whats everyones favourite kinds of yeast
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:24 pm
by jason.loxton
I am a huge fan of S-04. Fermented cool it is cheap, very clean, non-fussy, and fast. It drops out ridiculously well, even without finings or cold crashing. I wouldn't hesitate to use it cool in IPAs and other American beers. In fact, it's the secret house yeast at a number of US craft breweries (check discussion threads on Probrewer).
Re: Whats everyones favourite kinds of yeast
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:19 pm
by Hobbitfu
The key with s-04 is cool! Above 20C it's get progressively esters (in my experience)
Re: Whats everyones favourite kinds of yeast
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:21 pm
by Stasis
I've been using Wyeast 1214 for Belgian strong ales - good results so far! Lots of ester character and it gives that spicy bite to the brew.
Re: Whats everyones favourite kinds of yeast
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:42 pm
by MitchK
I got a perfect banana/clove balance for my taste on WB-06 at 68, one sachet (not rehydrated) in a 5 gallon brew.
Good to hear about s-04 - I was thinking of using it for a DIPA.
Re: Whats everyones favourite kinds of yeast
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:46 pm
by jtmwhyte
I've used wlp028 (Edinburgh Ale) in a few different beers with good results lately
Re: Whats everyones favourite kinds of yeast
Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:10 am
by Hobbitfu
I used wlp028 recently as well. Did you find it slow to ferment? I kept mine at about 19C and was quite slow. But turned out great.
Re: Whats everyones favourite kinds of yeast
Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:24 am
by jtmwhyte
Hobbitfu wrote:I used wlp028 recently as well. Did you find it slow to ferment? I kept mine at about 19C and was quite slow. But turned out great.
I fermented at 16C in a blonde ale and it's phenomenal and it took 3 weeks for the Krausen to drop. I pulled it up to 19C to finish for the last few days. I dropped super clear and give the beer a malty edge that I'm enjoying. It is a notoriously slow fermenter, but I rarely keg before 3 weeks anyway.