1 Mash 2 Beer Brett Porter and IPA
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:49 pm
I was all set to do 10 gallons of Porter yesterday and split the yeast with a Brett starter I have been stepping up for some time and co pitch with an english Wyeast 1028. I was going to keep it simple and use S04 in the other 5 gallons. When measuring out my grain I realized I only had 1 lbs of Chocolate and a double batch required 2 lbs. I was in the mood for a double batch so I decided to mash: 22 lbs Maris Otter 2 lbs CaraMunich III. I mashed the 1 lbs chocolate separate in 3 litres of water.
I brought the mash up to a boil and did a 3 oz bittering charge with Galena and boiled for 50 minutes. I emptied 20 litres from my pot into two smaller ones and set them aside. I started the boil again and finished with 2 oz Cascade at 10 mins and 5 mins. At flame out I went with 1 oz Cascade 1 oz Galena. Once that was chilled I pitched a US05 and brought the 20 litres I set aside to a boil adding the chocolate mini mash and adding 1.5 oz Galena at flame out. I pitched the multiple yeasts I've been stepping up and all are fermenting nicely now.
This was a challenge for me to see if I could do it. I found it a long brew day and would probably only do it again if my taps were hurting. I'm a BIAB and 6 gallons takes me 3.5 to 4 hours. Double batches around 5 hours and yesterday was around 6 hours. That includes clean-up and sealing hops back up. I thought I'd share in case any one has empty kegs and wants two very different beer on tap.
I brought the mash up to a boil and did a 3 oz bittering charge with Galena and boiled for 50 minutes. I emptied 20 litres from my pot into two smaller ones and set them aside. I started the boil again and finished with 2 oz Cascade at 10 mins and 5 mins. At flame out I went with 1 oz Cascade 1 oz Galena. Once that was chilled I pitched a US05 and brought the 20 litres I set aside to a boil adding the chocolate mini mash and adding 1.5 oz Galena at flame out. I pitched the multiple yeasts I've been stepping up and all are fermenting nicely now.
This was a challenge for me to see if I could do it. I found it a long brew day and would probably only do it again if my taps were hurting. I'm a BIAB and 6 gallons takes me 3.5 to 4 hours. Double batches around 5 hours and yesterday was around 6 hours. That includes clean-up and sealing hops back up. I thought I'd share in case any one has empty kegs and wants two very different beer on tap.