Page 1 of 1
where to buy water adjustment salts?
Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:26 pm
by MitchK
I see a few of them on Everwood Ave but not all - no chalk for example.
Just looking into starting water adjustments now (I see my tap water as is should be more or less ideal for pilsners though I would like to start using k-meta to remove the chlorine) and I do have some calcium chloride (and hoping to get some magnesium sulfate from the current group buy) but I am still looking for chalk and gypsum.
Re: where to buy water adjustment salts?
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:11 am
by LeafMan66_67
Ask Dave - he may have chalk, just not listed on his site. Noble Grape used to carry it as well.
EDIT: Chalk is on Everwood site as Calcium Carbonate, and magnesium sulfate is Epsom Salt
Re: where to buy water adjustment salts?
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:33 am
by GAM
My basement.
Just saying.
S
Re: where to buy water adjustment salts?
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:36 am
by mthibodeau
Dave has both of those, you may just need the chemical name for some, and common name for others. Noble Grape also sells gypsum, but for a lot more than Dave. MW&b probably also has some but I haven't checked
Re: where to buy water adjustment salts?
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:37 am
by GAM
mthibodeau wrote:MW&b probably also has some but I haven't checked
They do but small quantities. I'll work on that today.
S
Re: where to buy water adjustment salts?
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:21 am
by Celiacbrew
Before you buy your salts in bulk quantities you might want to read a couple different resources to see what they do and how to use them. There is a lot of conflicting and poor advice out there. Chalk in particular is a bit difficult to use, it requires being dissolved by an acid in order to fully dissolve. Common homebrewer advice is to put it into your mash but some resources say it still won't dissolve well and you will still have clumps of mash with high pH and others with low pH. There is conflicting advice about mgSO4 as well. All that said I have an unused pound of chalk that you are welcome to, I got excited when I first started learning about mineral additions and bought them all in bulk.
Ps I'm in Dartmouth if you want to pick it up.