Page 1 of 1

Clarity and brightness

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:06 am
by Celiacbrew
So I have ten gallons of Pilsner (my first). Everything worked out great eventually but there is a bit of a clarity issue. Well they look clear but they don't look bright like I hoped they would. Process-wise I think I did everything right. pH in mash and kettle were 5.4 and 5.1. Mash was a full 60 min at 150f. Used Irish moss. Hot break was strong. Cold break was good. Clarity ferm for chill haze and gluten. No dry hops. Lagered at 1c for two months in the carboy. Been in the keg for two months now. I assume if I keep it in the fridge for six more months it will get clearer and brighter but I don't think it should take that long. Is there a source of haze that I am not thinking of? Are there any yeast derived hazes?

Re: Clarity and brightness

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:51 pm
by MitchK
Maybe try hitting it with gelatin as a fining as well sometime? That's what I use and it works great - current English bitter is crystal clear and bright red.

Re: Clarity and brightness

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:29 pm
by jacinthebox
Gelatin is boss...super bright beer without filtering

Re: Clarity and brightness

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:40 am
by mstead
Another vote on gelatin here -- works every time!

Also, time in the fridge should clear it up some.

Re: Clarity and brightness

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:37 pm
by spickup
Are you guys just using unflavoured gelatin from the grocery store?

Re: Clarity and brightness

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:37 pm
by LeafMan66_67
spickup wrote:Are you guys just using unflavoured gelatin from the grocery store?
Or bulk barn.

Re: Clarity and brightness

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:40 pm
by spickup
LeafMan66_67 wrote:
spickup wrote:Are you guys just using unflavoured gelatin from the grocery store?
Or bulk barn.
Better buy at BB?

Re: Clarity and brightness

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:42 pm
by LeafMan66_67
I use a tsp when I do add it in, so I just find it easier than packets from the grocery store.