Page 1 of 1

Sludge at top of carboy secondary

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:42 pm
by Bukes
Hi there,

I have an English bitter kit currently in my secondary carboy. It's been sitting for 5 months. I read that that's ok but I have been noticing some slime/sludge at the top of the carboy. Is the batch spoiled maybe? Is this normal? Thanks to everyone who responds.

Edit: I popped the airlock off and it smells excellent. I am hoping this is a good sign.

Re: Sludge at top of carboy secondary

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:45 pm
by GAM
Maybe. Bottle or keg and taste it. Really the only way to tell. 5 Months is a long time.

Sandy

Re: Sludge at top of carboy secondary

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:50 pm
by Taylor Vanbrewer
If you have a thief, you can pull a sample and check it before you bottle or keg. As Sandy said, 5 months is a really long time to condition a bitter...

Re: Sludge at top of carboy secondary

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:24 pm
by amartin
Yeah, I'd normally bottle something like that after a few weeks. Can you take a picture of it?

Re: Sludge at top of carboy secondary

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:28 pm
by RossBee
GAM wrote:Maybe. Bottle or keg and taste it. Really the only way to tell. 5 Months is a long time.

Sandy

Really long to sit under an air lock, unless it's sitting at less than 10C