Page 1 of 1
Yeast Bay Farmhouse Sour
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:30 pm
by MikeMorrison
Has anyone used this mix? I'm taking my first foray into sours. I just brewed a Saison and I'm wondering if I should just leave it in primary for the long haul or if I should rack to secondary in a week or so. Any opinions? The website says that the sour character takes a few months to start but they're not specific about timelines.
Thanks
Mike
Re: Yeast Bay Farmhouse Sour
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:53 pm
by LiverDance
Leave it in primary for the long haul. I've had sours in primary for 1.5 years

Re: Yeast Bay Farmhouse Sour
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:08 pm
by pet lion
Hey Mike, is your primary fermenter a plastic pail or a carboy?
Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Re: Yeast Bay Farmhouse Sour
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:18 pm
by MikeMorrison
Hey Pete. Glass.
Re: Yeast Bay Farmhouse Sour
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:31 am
by pet lion
Right. So follow Brian's advice and leave it.
Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Re: Yeast Bay Farmhouse Sour
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:21 am
by MitchK
from what I've read on the subject you basically don't have to worry about autolysis with beers with brett in them - the brett seems capable of devouring the sach death byproducts. Whether this explanation is 100% accurate or not I don't know, but I do know a lot of mixed fermentation beers we know and love from belgium don't get racked into secondary.
Re: Yeast Bay Farmhouse Sour
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:34 pm
by MikeMorrison
Thanks folks. Looks like I'll be tucking it in for the long haul and see what happens. I'm now thinking I may rack half of it onto some fruit at some point. If memory serves there's no Brett in this mix. Just Sacch and Lacto. I'll (eventually) post an update about how it went!
Mike