Page 1 of 1
Grit inside keg after 'cleaning'
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:32 pm
by Comforteagle
I rinsed out a keg after user & filled it then with water and oxy-san & left it for about a week. Now the inside of the keg has this grit on the entire inside.
I can scrub it off as far as I can reach in. I've refilled with hot water a couple of times hoping it would dissolve, but no luck so far.
Suggestions anyone????
Re: Grit inside keg after 'cleaning'
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:47 pm
by jacinthebox
Beer stone or left over cleaner would be my guess. I would soak it again, scrub and rinse...see if it when away. I use pbw for hard cleaning...and oxy San for light cleaning and sanitation
Re: Grit inside keg after 'cleaning'
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:06 pm
by RossBee
Stainless scale remover works great, available at dairy supply stores, mineral based, rinse real well after use.
Re: Grit inside keg after 'cleaning'
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:32 pm
by jason.loxton
I've had the same thing in a carboy that I left soak too long with oxyclean. It's a carbonate precipitate, I think. A little acid took it right off. If you you have StarSan, mix a stronger than normal solution and that should get it. CLR should work too.
Jason
Re: Grit inside keg after 'cleaning'
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:07 pm
by CoolBeans
I did the exact same thing. To get the grit off I just soaked the keg in vinegar and water.Then risesed the keg out really well to get the vinegar smell out.
Re: Grit inside keg after 'cleaning'
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:50 am
by RubberToe
I had the same thing in multiple kegs. This is after using oxy-san as well. I soaked in PBW / oxyclean to get rid of it (starsan did not dissolve it).