Flameout versus dry-hop
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:12 pm
I just tapped two kegs. One - a bitter that was dry hopped, two - the same bitter done with flameout hops. I must say I like the dry-hopped better - the aroma is stronger and fresher and not too grassy whereas the flameout batch has good aroma but not quite as fresh or as noticeable. The dry-hopped aroma batch helped mask an imperfection in the grain bill that is more noticeable in the flameout batch too. The final results are similar but I plan to dry hop future batches. The one downfall to dry hopping is having to rack the beer after I've given the dry hops a few days in the secondary so my final product isn't full of hop particles but that is not a big deal. For those interested I added the dry hops to the secondary fermenter five days prior to kegging. I added the flameout hops immediately after boil and whirlpooled for 15 minutes. The recipes/conditions other than that were identical.