Page 1 of 1

Brett or infection?

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:20 pm
by Tim Gregory
I did an Orval clone and the Brett never really formed a pellicle, but it developed some good Brett funk character. I was thinking of bottling, and then it came to life, but I'm not sure if it's Brett or something else. Thoughts?
IMG_20160415_155605352.jpg
Edit: it's been on the Brett since July.

Re: Brett or infection?

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:32 am
by RubberToe
I think a pellicle is mostly a defence / barrier to oxygen and when there's no (limited) oxygen in there you probably won't get a pellicle. It's still possible you got some pedio or something in there. I'd give it a taste and sample gravity. If it tastes good then rack from underneath and bottle. Sadly, Brett is known to produce acetic acid in the presence of oxygen but you probably know that already.

Good luck! PS - I want to try it when it's ready. :)

Re: Brett or infection?

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:54 am
by GAM
To some of us Brett is an infection!!!

S

Re: Brett or infection?

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:06 am
by Lucas
The same sort of thing happened to me when I was planning on bottling my Orval clone last year. I brought it upstairs from the basement and the temperature change or the movement woke something up. Mine was a lot younger than yours though. Picture for comparison:

Image

Re: Brett or infection?

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:59 pm
by Tim Gregory
I think I'll bottle it next weekend. I'm liking the way it tastes now.