Page 1 of 1
Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:19 am
by mr x
They're up.

Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:39 am
by jeffsmith
Nothing here yet unfortunately. Might have lost a couple of my newer plants to some spring backyard construction as well, but hoping they'll bounce back.
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:17 pm
by jmacdonald
I have a few shoots on their way.

Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:21 pm
by Buccaneer
Mine have just barely started poking through.
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:31 pm
by RossBee
Mine are up as well.
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:14 am
by spickup
Anybody in hrm have any rhizomes to share? I bought a few last year and only 2 of 4 survived. Would like to get 2 more plants started.
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:56 pm
by mthibodeau
nugget coming through, the cascade and centennial arent far behind
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:17 am
by jacinthebox
Mine are poking up.
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:22 pm
by donking
yep!!! Should I try to cover them, or you think they will survive the freezing nights?
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:40 pm
by mr x
You could throw some leaves over top, but they'll probably be fine.
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:09 am
by sheanhiggins
Just got my Rhizomes in yesterday,first time planting. How soon should I see some action?
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:42 am
by mthibodeau
I think it was a couple of weeks for me last year, but I also didn't get them in until June
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:28 pm
by OldMalt
spickup wrote:Anybody in hrm have any rhizomes to share? I bought a few last year and only 2 of 4 survived. Would like to get 2 more plants started.
I've got Williamett and Hallertauer to share. I live in Downtown Dartmouth.
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:23 am
by jeffsmith
Mine have finally broken through the mulch this week.
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:14 pm
by mumblecrunch
Took me longer than I'd hoped to get my new planter built, and replanting on Thursday evening definitely did some violence to my plants, but it looks like they're rooting okay. So while I may not get much in the way of output this year hopefully they root well.
IMG_4730.jpg
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:33 pm
by spickup
Got my trellis set up on the barn:

Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:12 pm
by spickup
Anybody have issues with pests eating the hop leaves? My plants got devoured last year (which was the first year for the plants) and looks like the pests are back:

Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:22 pm
by mumblecrunch
I had every kind of pest last year. Ants infesting my planters (we live on an anthill), aphids, slugs, and looper worms. This year I'm expecting the same but hope to be able to do something about them. Going to start with a light soap solution on the undersides of the leaves to deal with the aphids and probably borax for the ants and see where that gets me.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:44 am
by Oilhead
spickup wrote:Anybody have issues with pests eating the hop leaves? My plants got devoured last year (which was the first year for the plants) and looks like the pests are back:

Rabbits got mine, mowed them right off.
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:16 pm
by lil'wheaty
Having a nice battle with (what I suspect is) downy mildew with mine after so much rain and many cool nights. Some yellowish-brown spots and holes are developing on the bottom leaves and the sprouting spike tips are a pale yellowish-green. Took all the leaves off from the bottom 1-2ft of the shoots and will start searching for a fungicide that is good for downy mildew - easy to find for powdery mildew, but not downy. The problem should fully resolve or at least hinder itself when we get a good week or two of solid heat. Other than that they're still at least 2ft tall with my Chinook monster being over 7ft!
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:06 pm
by OldMalt
spickup wrote:Anybody have issues with pests eating the hop leaves? My plants got devoured last year (which was the first year for the plants) and looks like the pests are back:

Looks likes aphid damage, though that early in the season could also be slugs. As soon as bones are 4' tall remove the bottom 18" of leaves to reduce shelter for slugs and increase airflow.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:20 am
by jeffsmith
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1465644232.027205.jpg
Looks like it's going to be a great year for hops up this way. My Galena and Columbus bines have hit 10-12 get high already. That usually doesn't happen until mid-July.
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:48 am
by SFR709
OldMalt wrote:spickup wrote:Anybody have issues with pests eating the hop leaves? My plants got devoured last year (which was the first year for the plants) and looks like the pests are back:

Looks likes aphid damage, though that early in the season could also be slugs. As soon as bones are 4' tall remove the bottom 18" of leaves to reduce shelter for slugs and increase airflow.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like aphids to me too, I'd recommend "safer soap" you can get it at Halifax seed. Also you might want to check for ant activity, ants actually farm aphids, bring them to shelter when it rains etc. So if you see ants that might be a good clue that you have aphids. I find a good way to put a dent in the ants is to make a solution of borax laundry detergent and sugar, and soak it up in cotton balls. You can get borax at a grocery store and Google for the right ratio of borax:sugar:water (I can't remember off the top of my head). This is my first year growing hops but I've had trouble with them in my vegetable garden a few times and this worked really well for me.
Scott
Re: Hop shoots are up 2016
Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:57 am
by donking
I support Scott's solution for ants, works like a charm. I did it last year and works great, it kills the queen ant and that's what you want. Put the solution in cotton balls, if you don't have cotton balls use the cotton from a q-tip.