Page 1 of 1
Glass cleaning regimen for Brett
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:36 am
by Lucas
Up to this point I have kept my clean beers away from the glass carboys I've used for Brett beers. I'll soon be brewing for a wedding and want the extra fermentor capacity for some clean beers. Is my standard overnight PBW soak followed by a soak in Star San sufficient?
Re: Glass cleaning regimen for Brett
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:27 pm
by Tim Gregory
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm down to one Brett free fermenter.
Re: Glass cleaning regimen for Brett
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:32 pm
by Lucas
I'm down to zero

Re: Glass cleaning regimen for Brett
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:06 pm
by MitchK
I haven't done it, but from what I've read a thorough clean on glass or stainless should work as long as the surface isn't scratched up (even plastic, but it's a lot easier to have small unnoticeable scratches in plastic)
My personal tendency towards overkill would be to use a bleach solution when I'm "converting" glass from brett to clean though followed by PBW, then starsan. - I figure if bleach will kill all manner of absurd nasties in bottles when we pick them up from the recycling depot, it should do the same for a bit of brett.
NOTE: PLEASE RINSE BETWEEN THE BLEACH AND PBW. I don't know exactly what you may create if you don't, but generally following up bleach with other cleaning chemicals can be some SERIOUSLY nasty shit if you don't rinse the bleach off first.
Re: Glass cleaning regimen for Brett
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:00 pm
by jacinthebox
I've been using a hot pbw soak...rinse and repeat. ..then either one step or star san