Page 1 of 1
How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:11 pm
by Lisa J
Just did our first all grain brew last night, and I'm wondering what to do with 7.5 kg of mashed grain. Up to this brew, we just used some steeping grains and fired them in the green bin when done. What do I do with 7.5 kilos of it, though? Seems wasteful to chuck it. Does anyone use it/need it for compost, animal feed, etc.?
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:18 pm
by chalmers
Congratulations on your first all grain brew!
You've nailed the most common places the grain ends up: compost, or green bin. Using it for baking projects, including dog treats and pizza crust and pretzels are awesome (Tim Gregory has nailed all three, I dare say), but do not require a lot of grain to get the point across, so most of the batch is still discarded. Most of us do not have animals that would eat the grain straight up, though many of the commercial breweries partner with farmers who will haul it away for free in exchange for the benefit of feeding their livestock for cheap/free. I suspect us homebrewers are too small potatoes to elicit a response from the farmers, or on a sporadic schedule.
I agree, it does seem wasteful, so maybe between the group of us, we could come up with a beneficial use for it.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:19 pm
by amartin
Mine goes in the compost pile. Actually, since I just moved recently, spent grain IS my compost pile, mostly. I really should put some grass clippings or something in there.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:25 pm
by Keggermeister
Green bin for me. Actually mine is half full of grain right now.
I tried composting it once... The flies were unreal in that heap.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:29 pm
by jeffsmith
Green bin here as well. Usually in a large compost able bag to cut down on the awful smell that develops after a few days.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:11 am
by Keith
Green bin. However I recently discovered my neighbour has chickens and 2 stupid fucking roosters. So might be able to help her out in exchange she gets rid of the roosters lol.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:27 am
by Lisa J
Keith wrote:Green bin. However I recently discovered my neighbour has chickens and 2 stupid fucking roosters. So might be able to help her out in exchange she gets rid of the roosters lol.
Oh no - roosters! That sucks! Chickens I can get behind.
We do live out in "the country" now, so fresh eggs would be nice... And we'd have lots of spent grain to feed 'em.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:10 am
by jacinthebox
Green bin...100lbs of spent grain last time.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:13 am
by Keith
Lisa J wrote:Keith wrote:Green bin. However I recently discovered my neighbour has chickens and 2 stupid fucking roosters. So might be able to help her out in exchange she gets rid of the roosters lol.
Oh no - roosters! That sucks! Chickens I can get behind.
We do live out in "the country" now, so fresh eggs would be nice... And we'd have lots of spent grain to feed 'em.
They don't ever shutup. Even during the night. I'd hate to be my neighbours right next to them.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:43 am
by spears104
I compost mine. I have a pretty healthy red wriggler colony in my compost and they go nuts for spend grain. A week after I dump in a batch I have a population explosion, and then they absolutely devour the pile!
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:05 am
by LeafMan66_67
The bulk of mine goes into the backyard composters. Some (wet) will go into bread. I also put some in small portions in freezer bags to use for later. I've also dried it in the oven and used it for bread as well.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:29 am
by GAM
My composter is full. I find if you turn it it doesn't smell.
Green bin the rest.
S
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:07 am
by elreplica
I did the dog cookies with the bone shaped treats...my dogs loved them. But it only required a little and hence most grain ends up in the green bin.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:51 pm
by KB1138
I make bagels with spent grains. But that only uses about two cups.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:31 pm
by Ladd
I'm out in the county and have a compost pile behind my fence out back and that is where it goes all summer. In the fall and all through the winter I spread it on the garden then in the spring I rototill it into the ground. Great for the veggies! I usually add the compost from the pile to the garden each spring as well and start a new pile for next year.
Sandy is right, if you turn it here and there it keeps the smell down to a minimum. It's a bit of work but definitely worth it in my opinion.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:08 pm
by RossBee
Living in the country, fling mine on the lawn/yard, birds/dogs/squirrels love it.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:32 pm
by spears104
GAM wrote:My composter is full. I find if you turn it it doesn't smell.
Green bin the rest.
S
Get some red wrigglers in your compost. You will never keep up to them!
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:42 am
by GAM
Where do you get them?
S
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:01 am
by Lisa J
GAM wrote:Where do you get them?
S
...and what do you do with them - leave 'em in the compost pile to help it along, or transfer them directly to the gardens?
BTW - thanks for all the info. Looks like I'm going to need to start a compost pile and get me some chickens (but no rooster), worms, and maybe a dog, and get to work on baking some bread ;o)
And make lots more beer!
Cheers,
Lisa
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:27 pm
by Buccaneer
spears104 wrote:Get some red wrigglers in your compost. You will never keep up to them!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2SBhu0303k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:23 pm
by spears104
GAM wrote:Where do you get them?
S
I had bought my starter kit from The Worm Firm, here in Nova Scotia, but they don't seem to be active anymore.
If you are ever going through Port Hawkesbury, I can give you a coffe can full of compost, c/w worms. just dump the can of compost into yours and let them go to work. They will multiply and take over your compost heap. Mine always survivie the winter, although they were slow coming back a couple of times!
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:27 pm
by spears104
Lisa J wrote:GAM wrote:Where do you get them?
S
...and what do you do with them - leave 'em in the compost pile to help it along, or transfer them directly to the gardens?
BTW - thanks for all the info. Looks like I'm going to need to start a compost pile and get me some chickens (but no rooster), worms, and maybe a dog, and get to work on baking some bread ;o)
And make lots more beer!
Cheers,
Lisa
Yes and yes. Just think of them as part of the soil. just don't take all of the compost out of the bin when you use it, so there will some worms left to repopulate.
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:42 am
by GAM
Thanks.
S
Re: How Do You Dispose of Your Mashed Grain?
Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:23 pm
by Cliff_Shaw
Goes to the grain pile in the backyard - it is getting so big it will soon have its own postal code