The Yeast Bay

OntarioBeerkegs
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Patrick Walker

The Yeast Bay

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:05 pm

Hey guys. Just a heads up we have expanded our yeast collection and have a very cool treat. Now carrying the The Yeast Bay. Some very cool strains. Hardcore Canada folks will likely want to play with some of these:

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Latest_P ... _s/146.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Re: The Yeast Bay

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:15 pm

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:Hey guys. Just a heads up we have expanded our yeast collection and have a very cool treat. Now carrying the The Yeast Bay. Some very cool strains. Hardcore Canada folks will likely want to play with some of these:

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Latest_P ... _s/146.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Patrick. They look very interesting. Thanks for making them available. Do you know how close the Vermont Ale yeast is to the Conan variety that Heady Topper Uses please?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

OntarioBeerkegs
Vendor
Vendor

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:23 pm

You would have to ask Nick to be honest he is a biological scientist who spent months plating and filtering the colonies for selection. White labs then propagates these careful selections and does all the quality and packaging to the same perfection White Labs uses for its own strains (Did I mention a yeast lab?) My understanding is the guy is hard core as crap. Very respected. And nailed it.

nicholas.impellitteri@theyeastbay.com

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:33 pm

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:You would have to ask Nick to be honest he is a biological scientist who spent months plating and filtering the colonies for selection. White labs then propagates these careful selections and does all the quality and packaging to the same perfection White Labs uses for its own strains (Did I mention a yeast lab?) My understanding is the guy is hard core as crap. Very respected. And nailed it.

Thanks :) Are these yeasts meant to be similar to those of well known commercial beers? is there a list of the beers and their representative yeasts somewhere please?
-Mark

OntarioBeerkegs
Vendor
Vendor

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Not sure I can legally claim it is representative of yeast in XXXX. Afraid you stumped me in that part. Even WL/Wyeast does not claim to be a strain unless have permission but widely know some strains are XXXX.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:50 pm

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:Not sure I can legally claim it is representative of yeast in XXXX. Afraid you stumped me in that part. Even WL/Wyeast does not claim to be a strain unless have permission but widely know some strains are XXXX.
Can anyone chip on this and what beers' yeasts they are emulating/derived from?
-Mark

OntarioBeerkegs
Vendor
Vendor

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:52 pm

Sorry Mark not trying to be elusive. But having some big brewery sending me a letter low on my priorities. I will ask Wl and TYB about thoughts they have on the subject.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:59 pm

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:Sorry Mark not trying to be elusive. But having some big brewery sending me a letter low on my priorities. I will ask Wl and TYB about thoughts they have on the subject.
Oh no, I understood you couldn't say anything, but we can say what the hell we like. If you can post anything let us know, but your saying it's widely known means it's out there.

:cheers2:
-Mark

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:03 pm

Mark, if you read the descriptions of the yeast from the website, it gives you clues as to which commercial examples the yeast strain originates from. It would likely take a bit of digging, but I'm sure it's out there.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:04 pm

For example - the Northeastern Abbey
This yeast was isolated from a beer crafted by a well-known producer of Belgian-style ales in the Northeastern United States. This yeast produces a mildly spicy and earthy flavor and aroma which is complemented by a subtle but magnificent array of fruity esters, including pear and light citrus fruit.

The brewery from which this strain was isolated uses it in a very versatile manner across an array of Belgian styles. We prefer using this yeast for any and all light Belgian beers, including Wit, Belgian Pale and Belgian Blond, in addition to any experimental fruit beers in which a more unique and robust flavor and aroma profile is desired. Expect this yeast to produce a large, thick krausen.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:17 pm

I'd guess that one to be Ommegang. The Wallonian Farmhouse is likely Dupont.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:19 pm

Some discussion about potential strains here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/yeast- ... ndex2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:21 pm

jeffsmith wrote:The Wallonian Farmhouse is likely Dupont.
People over on HBT are saying they suspect it's Fantome.

Myself, I have no clue - just throwing it out there :lol:

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:27 pm

Quite possible. I didn't read the description too closely.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:17 pm

Vermont Ale was isolated from a can of Heady, as were the other brands of "Conan". The yeast strain itself isn't copyrightable, just the name, that's why they don't say, or name the brewery, beer, etc.

+1 for The Yeast bay BTW!
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:34 am

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:You would have to ask Nick to be honest he is a biological scientist who spent months plating and filtering the colonies for selection.

Nick is on this thread a lot answering questions. His avatar is the Yeast Bay logo: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/t ... ay.131868/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark

biobrewer

Post by biobrewer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:50 pm

GuingesRock wrote:
OntarioBeerkegs wrote:You would have to ask Nick to be honest he is a biological scientist who spent months plating and filtering the colonies for selection. White labs then propagates these careful selections and does all the quality and packaging to the same perfection White Labs uses for its own strains (Did I mention a yeast lab?) My understanding is the guy is hard core as crap. Very respected. And nailed it.

Thanks :) Are these yeasts meant to be similar to those of well known commercial beers? is there a list of the beers and their representative yeasts somewhere please?
Hi! Nick from The Yeast Bay here. I can tell you that commercial beers are a source of many of our strains, but what specific commercial beer was used to isolate what specific strain has to remain ambiguous for a number of reasons, primarily legal.

A big thanks to Patrick for helping us break into the Canadian marketplace! If you all have any questions, I'm happy to entertain them. Also, a big thanks to Patrick for helping us break into the Canadian marketplace.

Cheers!

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:29 pm

biobrewer wrote:
Hi! Nick from The Yeast Bay here. I can tell you that commercial beers are a source of many of our strains, but what specific commercial beer was used to isolate what specific strain has to remain ambiguous for a number of reasons, primarily legal.

A big thanks to Patrick for helping us break into the Canadian marketplace! If you all have any questions, I'm happy to entertain them. Also, a big thanks to Patrick for helping us break into the Canadian marketplace.

Cheers!
Nick, Some of the Brewnosers got together and cultured yeast from a can of Heady Topper, enough to supply any of us that wanted some. You might find the thread interesting: http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=6129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; When Nash refers to TubberRoe, he's talking about RubberToe :)

That thread, together with this one, turned out to be the incentive I needed to gear up for using liquid yeast after 1 ½ years of sticking to dried yeast.

Thanks to you and Patrick for bringing these yeasts to us. I’m excited about it all.

-Mark

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Got my oxygen and starter gear now. Ordering some Vermont Ale yeast on Saturday so it might be shipped on Monday. I'm excited!
-Mark

OntarioBeerkegs
Vendor
Vendor

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:32 pm

Why not just order tonight? We do not use post offices or staging stations. Our parcels are sent private truck every weekday straight to the largest sort center in Canada. It enters Mississauga around ten at night and goes out the other side a few hours later to the truck or train that travels all weekend (gonna travel whenever order it). This arrangement shaves 1-2 days off postage and removes any possibility of sitting idle on long trips. The trucks and sorting continues weekends. Just the offices closed.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:49 pm

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:Why not just order tonight? We do not use post offices or staging stations. Our parcels are sent private truck every weekday straight to the largest sort center in Canada. It enters Mississauga around ten at night and goes out the other side a few hours later to the truck or train that travels all weekend (gonna travel whenever order it). This arrangement shaves 1-2 days off postage and removes any possibility of sitting idle on long trips. The trucks and sorting continues weekends. Just the offices closed.
Thanks, I just ordered, Canada Post Expedited.

-Mark

Return to “Ontario Beer Kegs”