Time for a Brewnoser beer competition

Past, present, and upcoming competitions, as well as award winners!
derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Time for a Brewnoser beer competition

Post by derek » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:19 am

OK, it's time we started talking about a Brewnoser competition.

Jeff wants one, I want one, and we have a whole bunch of newly semi-qualified judges who need to start getting their judging points.

I have some experience organizing amateur wine-making competition, so I'm willing to organize a beer event. I'm sure Jeff, Tracy, and maybe Craig, can be coerced into judging, alongside most of our recent BJCP qualifiers.

It makes sense to have it coincide with our annual Hoptoberfest.

All I really need to make this work is a venue. I actually have space to host a competition at my home, but I doubt anybody really wants to trek out here to do it! We need somewhere with space for at least 3 well-lit tables, and a few support staff to move around them. If somebody can find somewhere convenient to downtown, I'll get on the promotion end of things.
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10

Re: Time for a Brewnoser beer competition

Post by Tony L » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:31 am

Are you going to start with an open comp where entries from across Canada would be accepted? Big undertaking, but I have faith in Brewnosers helping out.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:09 am

I'm in and will volunteer as much time as I can. I could likely brow beat some beer friends in to helping out as well.

Mr Nash may also be interested in being a judge.

Sandy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:24 am

Need to work out some other details. How many categories, etc...

Sent from Tapatalk 2, a prick of a company.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 am

Tony L wrote:Are you going to start with an open comp where entries from across Canada would be accepted? Big undertaking, but I have faith in Brewnosers helping out.
Definitely. It's not that huge an undertaking - I need to get the word out to the clubs, and someone designated to receive couriered entries. Beyond that it's not much different from a local competition.
mr x wrote:Need to work out some other details. How many categories, etc...
Nope. Well, maybe the "etc", but "categories" is any BJCP class people send us.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:27 am

I think that might be a bit big to start with. I was thinking 5-7 categories might be a better start. I don't see the sense from a competition point of view to judging categories that get 2 entries.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10

Post by Tony L » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:01 pm

mr x wrote: I don't see the sense from a competition point of view to judging categories that get 2 entries.

Those get collapsed into another category close to the one they enter.
For example 2 entries into American IPA could be judged with American APA etc.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:02 pm

IIRC it's not uncommon to combine categories if there aren't many entries.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10

Post by Tony L » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:07 pm

RubberToe wrote:IIRC it's not uncommon to combine categories if there aren't many entries.
That is right. Every entry is judged against the BJCP category in which it is entered, but if the flight is collapsed, it is scored with brews from another category and then the three medals are awarded, if they get the necessary points to score a medal.

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:14 pm

mr x wrote:I think that might be a bit big to start with. I was thinking 5-7 categories might be a better start. I don't see the sense from a competition point of view to judging categories that get 2 entries.
You don't have to give prizes for every category (or, as near as I can tell from lots of other competitions, prizes for any category!), and you don't have to judge flights of 1 beer, even if there are classes with only one entry - we just have flights with multiple classes.

The real purpose of this competition is to ensure our new judges get BJCP points: which they need to become full judges. Given that we have 12 new judges, bigger is better.

(of course, since this is the Brewnosers, and around Hoptoberfest, Tony's example of a shortage of IPAs seems a little unlikely!)

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:19 pm

I still believe a targeted comp (just to begin with) of fewer popular categories would be a better idea for the quality of entries. I think it would also be better for judging skills to have a lot of brews in the same category to work with.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks Derek for stepping up and volunteering to organize. I'm very happy to assist and/or judge the event.

Do we wait to get the result of the Exam before we start organizing, or just do it? Of course all/most/some of us will have passed, but we don't know when we will have confirmation that we are judges (rather than provisional ones).

Maybe you could spam the BJCP list we had going, as at least a few of the folks were not on the board frequently.

Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10

Post by Tony L » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:48 pm

derek wrote: (of course, since this is the Brewnosers, and around Hoptoberfest, Tony's example of a shortage of IPAs seems a little unlikely!)
Unlikely in any comp. Usually IPA's and APA's attract the most entries. It was just an example as I'm sure you were aware. ;)

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:23 pm

Whether it is all styles or a select few, we should make damned sure that there are plenty of Brewnoser entries. Let's make sure our beer is the freshest and is not subjected to questionable handling during transit.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10

Post by Tony L » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:31 pm

akr71 wrote: Let's make sure our beer is the freshest and is not subjected to questionable handling during transit.
Easy for you to say, :lol: Time I pack mine up, put it on the oxcart to get it to the post office. Then the pissed off posties beat it around to see if there is anything to break inside. After it passes that test, they send it along making sure it suffers the highest heat and the most abuse they can expose it to in a few hours. :lol: :spilly:

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:48 pm

chalmers wrote:Thanks Derek for stepping up and volunteering to organize. I'm very happy to assist and/or judge the event.

Do we wait to get the result of the Exam before we start organizing, or just do it? Of course all/most/some of us will have passed, but we don't know when we will have confirmation that we are judges (rather than provisional ones).

Maybe you could spam the BJCP list we had going, as at least a few of the folks were not on the board frequently.
I'm up for assisting and judging the event.

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:31 pm

chalmers wrote:Do we wait to get the result of the Exam before we start organizing, or just do it? Of course all/most/some of us will have passed, but we don't know when we will have confirmation that we are judges (rather than provisional ones).
I haven't actually managed to find anything that says we absolutely have to have any fully-qualified judges, but having passed the online test, we're all eligible to judge, at least with a full BJCP judge. But of course we're all going to pass the taste test, too...

Anyway, there's no need to wait, and since BJCP actually wants 90 days notice, and I have just realized that that already takes us to the end of September, I'd want to register the competition as soon as we find a venue.

I'm hoping you're scheduled to go to Newfoundland sometime in the next three months so that Tony can avoid using the oxcart.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:10 am

Sounds good, organize away! :)

I'm actually on the Rock now, but on the wrong side to help Tony. I think I will be back in July or August, though.

BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BBrianBoogie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:56 am

I'm in for helping/judging.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:32 am

What about hooking up with Propeller and using there tasting room to do it?
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:41 am

I'm in for organizing and judging too. Sounds like a great idea for us new judges to get started with gaining experience as well as offering an east coast competition to all interested.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:24 am

I'm interested in helping out as well.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:48 am

LiverDance wrote:What about hooking up with Propeller and using there tasting room to do it?
Jeff Pinhey says he can arrange a venue. I expect it can't be done at a brewery - just consider the hoops Rockbottom had to jump to sell growlers. Drinking homebrew in a brewery is certainly, technically, illegal. The NSLC has the authority to waive just about any part of the law, but we've hosted the Canadian Amateur Winemakers competition twice in Wolfville, and the NSLC hasn't been terribly helpful.

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ben Wedge

Post by benwedge » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:51 am

derek wrote:
LiverDance wrote:What about hooking up with Propeller and using there tasting room to do it?
Jeff Pinhey says he can arrange a venue. I expect it can't be done at a brewery - just consider the hoops Rockbottom had to jump to sell growlers. Drinking homebrew in a brewery is certainly, technically, illegal. The NSLC has the authority to waive just about any part of the law, but we've hosted the Canadian Amateur Winemakers competition twice in Wolfville, and the NSLC hasn't been terribly helpful.
Garrison holds theirs in a brewery. The issue at Propeller may be capacity. What about Hart & Thistle? If we're talking October it may be quiet enough there mid-week that they'd love to have us, like they did for the Bacon-off a few years back. They would have closed were it not for our crowd.
Brewing right now: whatever is going on tap at Stillwell in a few weeks.

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:37 am

Will you guys stop helping out! No one will be able to enter ! :)
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

Return to “Competitions & Awards”