Competition Score Sheets

Past, present, and upcoming competitions, as well as award winners!
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark McGraw

Competition Score Sheets

Post by mcgster » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm curious is there any rules against posting the score sheets from brewing competitions.

I think there is a lot to learn from reading the comments on other peoples beer. I know the reason i started entering competitions was to get feedback and my own sheets provide invaluable feedback and they may be useful to others (and vice versa).

I'm not sure what anyone else thinks on this topic. I definitely have learned more from the beer i have submitted poorly than the ones that have done well!

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Re: Competition Score Sheets

Post by Tim Gregory » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:19 pm

I think you're fine as long as you block out the email address of the judge or any contact info they provide. Not sure about their name. I'd block it out to be safe.

mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by mcgster » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:21 pm

Good idea, i'm glad that you mentioned that! For the sake of posting them the name of the judge likely isn't going to really help anyone so we could just block out the section.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:03 pm

I like the idea of sharing feedback, but I think it would be hard to really get what the judges are saying without being able to taste the beer yourself. Maybe another option would be to just bring a beer and the scoresheet to a meeting.

mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by mcgster » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:39 am

I think there is a lot to be gained even without tasting the beer.

Just seeing the type of things that judges pick up on to take points away from your beer is incredibly helpful.

If you were brewing a English Bitter for competition and you had a few score sheets from english bitters to evaluate before you brewed it would be very helpful to see mistakes that other people have made that don't necessarily involve tasting the beer.

When i look at a score sheet from a year ago i don't remember what the beer tasted like but i still find it very helpful.

Having both the score sheet in hand and a sample is without a doubt the best way but i think it would still be very helpful!
amartin wrote:I like the idea of sharing feedback, but I think it would be hard to really get what the judges are saying without being able to taste the beer yourself. Maybe another option would be to just bring a beer and the scoresheet to a meeting.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:52 am

Your arguments in favour are good. Can you post some sheets? I can see value in it, if competitiveness could somehow be put aside.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:34 am

I have a good stack of score sheets now, I'll try to get some scanned in this week.

mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by mcgster » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:46 am

I am going to scan all my sheets when i'm back home in a few weeks.

I do have my CowTown Yeast Wrangler sheets for my 8A.

This is the same batch that i had submitted to the NB contest and placed with. I didn't get any score sheets from the NB competition so i wanted to submit it again. I'm going to brew this recipe again at some time and bump up the hops and ferment a bit higher to bring out the esters. Note that i did use ringwood for this which is somewhat out of character for the style but it was brewed for a picaroons competition.
201403-Yeast Town Wranglers- Category 8A _Page_3.jpg
201403-Yeast Town Wranglers- Category 8A _Page_2.jpg
201403-Yeast Town Wranglers- Category 8A _Page_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Long story … I just got this score sheet in the mail from Ottawa today, with a very nice hand written note that the competition software had duplicated a few entry numbers and they had some “post comp. untangling to do”. This was the comp that my Poolside blonde and other beers I sent were terribly oxidized, but apparently this beer wasn’t.

I already had an IPA and an APA entry so I stuck this beer in the speciality class and learn’t that doesn’t work. You still get feedback but your score suffers. I think I learnt that lesson before as well, but never mind.

This was the “Champagne Citra” with Conan yeast that I took to Keith’s pot luck and Jimmy took some home, and to one of the meetings I think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by mcgster » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Thats exactly what happened to me with my Rye beer, it was too hoppy and too bitter to fit in 6D but the judges didn't think so!

GasMD30
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Josh

Post by GasMD30 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:11 am

I won't post mine, but I'm pretty sure Mark and I had the same judge
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up: