5 Paddles - Final BOTY Comp 2015

Past, present, and upcoming competitions, as well as award winners!
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Re: 5 Paddles - Final BOTY Comp (Open)

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:56 pm

Updates and pictures on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/5PaddlesBrewin ... y/?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We know you are all eagerly awaiting the results of our homebrew competition. We are getting through the last three categories over today (and maybe tomorrow) and then we will get the results out to you all as soon as possible!
Some amazing brews have been sampled over the last few days. You guys are making some pretty amazing beer!
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Re: 5 Paddles - Final BOTY Comp (Open)

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:16 pm

We have two small rounds left to judge. Everything is up and loaded on reggie so that we can release results as SOON as those last two rounds get done!
-Mark

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Re: 5 Paddles - Final BOTY Comp 2015

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:11 pm

Tap Tap Tap ...Fingers on the table. Perhaps thud thud thud (might have chewed my nails off, not sayin). Good luck Brewnosers :)
-Mark

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:57 pm

After all that only 3 at this one. Mark congrats on your bronze for Scottish Export: http://www.reggiebeer.com/ReggieWeb.php?Web=1000114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lot of class consolidation here.
-Mark

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:00 am

Bad competition this one :( poor organization coupled with organizer arrogance. After the twitter conversation I really doubt it will be in the BOTY circuit next year,

All entries with special ingredients, fruit beers, sub styles, were down marked to around 20 points with rude remarks in big letters like "YOU MUST SPECIFY" from the judges. We've been sorting it out on Twitter. Everyone got the same with their specially brewed beers. What happened was we all DID specify, but it didn't get through to the judges and it looks like the judges thought we were all idiots and told us so. What a waste of time, effort and money.

I emailed them:
Hi Erin, The judges spent a good proportion of the score sheets on my RIPA telling me off for not specifying the sub style.. Big upper case "MAKE SURE NEXT TIME YOU SPECIFY STYLE" and "STYLE NOT SPECIFIED" such comments repeated on each sheet, just to make sure I realized I was stupid and incompetent.

I had an experimental beer I really wanted feedback on. I had only 3 bottles left. They had been aged for 2 years. I sent all three. The judges had no idea what it was and it was a complete "WASTE" to send that in. I really regret that. It was a huge experiment that I had conducted on our forum and involved massive FWH hopping as the only form of hopping.

:)
I didn't like the response much but was scared to reply. I don't need to be subordinate any more :headbang: I can now pick and chose my competitions
Sorry you are so unsatisfied. That said, I think you are taking things too personally. I couldn't call up substyles, and judges marked it down as they were trained to do. I realize it's disappointing but the tasting notes and places received in the competition are still 100% relevant.

As for the experimental beer category, I personally judged that category. I've looked back at the beer and the tasting notes were still relevant. The appropriate beers won, and and the feedback was still appropriate.

I will not be arguing with you any further on this matter. The competition went well and most are very happy. I'm sorry you aren't, but it is a massive event, all software used at this stage is either outdated or in development. It was challenging running the event but overall I feel it went very well. And you clearly can not please everyone.
-Mark

Return to “Competitions & Awards”