Black Box Challenge

Past, present, and upcoming competitions, as well as award winners!
Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mark Bowser

Re: Black Box Challenge

Post by Bowserm » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:09 am

mikeorr wrote:
Bowserm wrote:Also I would like to know how to sour a beer with no souring yeast or probiotics?
Add some un-mashed grain to the wort after the mash is done, and keep the temp warm (100-120F). This provides a good environment for the lacto that's naturally on the grain husk to grow. Read up a bit on "kettle sour" or "sour worting" http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Sour_Worting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awesome. I am going to check this out for sure. I had a sour yesterday at Stillwell and it was more of a carbonated lemon juice than a beer, while strange, it was my first sour so now I'm interested in doing a small batch.

I also couldn't figure out how it was done when they announced the honourable mentions.

wide_awake
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mark Reid

Post by wide_awake » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:26 am

Chiming in to say a big thanks to Henry and the other judges as well as Stillwell + staff. That was a super fun day, it's nice to be able to geek out with fellow brewers.

I'm really curious what everyone else made - if others are watching this forum, I humbly request a one-liner (or more if you want) about it. I'll go first:

Hop Springs Eternal: A White IPA with local spring water.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:41 am

Mitchell and I entered an American Wheat. He has the details.

We also did a Session APA.

Sandy

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:49 am

I did an American Porter. In lieu of chocolate malt and to try to reduce the roastiness of the Carafa while still getting as much color as I could, I made a tea with it that I added with 10 minutes left in the boil. I actually did an 8g batch and split it with the two yeasts (I thought if I got clove from the T-58 I'd potentially add the cinnamon). The T-58 version didn't turn out so well, but I was quite happy with the US-05 side, which was dry-hopped.

CPR
Name: Christopher Reynolds

Post by CPR » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:36 am

So many awesome beers yesterday. Ton of talent in the room, that's for sure!

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:51 am

I mixed up some bottled spring water and some tap water to get some moderately hard, alkaline water and did a schwarzbier late hopped with the NZ pacifica.

josherArmstrong
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Josh Armstrong

Post by josherArmstrong » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:05 pm

I brewed a Brown IPA using spring water, US-05 yeast, columbus/cascade/pacifica for hops.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:11 pm

We (Delta Force) brewed Agent 15 - a Cinnamon smoked dubbel X mild. We were kind of shooting for something that spanned several historic periods. The smoke character from pre-coke fired kiln days when all beers were a little smokey, the X is a call back to the old classification system for Milds and given our gravity (1.048), would be similar to a single X mild pre WWI, and then modern twist of using a Belgian yeast/the final product was kind of a cross between a mild and a dubbel. Pretty abstract, glad I wasn't tasked with judging it :) Had a blast coming up with the idea and doing the research.

We also did a version of the beer with US-05 and then a back up beer, which was a belgian session IPA.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:28 pm

Congrats Brian! Sounds like it was a fun event too.

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bowserm » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:05 pm

I ended up doing 3 brews from the ingredients. The one I entered was a Trappist. Probably more of a Belgain single, but because of the changes to the categories this year I had to enter it as a Trappist.

The second beer I did was a Belgain Pale using late Pacifica but somehow they ended up being way too over carbed.

The third one i did was a English Bitter that I mashed high expecting it to get a higher FG using the US-05 and it ended up being too dry for an English Bitter.

I am very interested in seeing the score cards. Being a Brewer that has been doing it for less than 2 years it will be great feedback other than family and the Truro group

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Bowserm wrote:I ended up doing 3 brews from the ingredients. The one I entered was a Trappist. Probably more of a Belgain single, but because of the changes to the categories this year I had to enter it as a Trappist.

The second beer I did was a Belgain Pale using late Pacifica but somehow they ended up being way too over carbed.

The third one i did was a English Bitter that I mashed high expecting it to get a higher FG using the US-05 and it ended up being too dry for an English Bitter.

I am very interested in seeing the score cards. Being a Brewer that has been doing it for less than 2 years it will be great feedback other than family and the Truro group

hey Mark! very interested in talking about this more on Saturday...will you be bringing of the beer you made for this event to the meeting? Very interested in trying them out!

wide_awake
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wide_awake » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:13 pm

My bet-hedging beer was an English Bitter. It turned out a little too sweet (even though FG came down to a reasonable 1.009), I think I used too much Crystal malt. I tried adding cinnamon to that beer, but neither version was as good as the WIPA.

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bowserm » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:28 pm

mckay75 wrote:
Bowserm wrote:I ended up doing 3 brews from the ingredients. The one I entered was a Trappist. Probably more of a Belgain single, but because of the changes to the categories this year I had to enter it as a Trappist.

hey Mark! very interested in talking about this more on Saturday...will you be bringing of the beer you made for this event to the meeting? Very interested in trying them out!
Yep, I will be bringing all 3, plus a Styrian Goldings ale.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:24 pm

wide_awake wrote:My bet-hedging beer was an English Bitter. It turned out a little too sweet (even though FG came down to a reasonable 1.009), I think I used too much Crystal malt. I tried adding cinnamon to that beer, but neither version was as good as the WIPA.
That is an Epic avatar you have there sir! Can't wait to try that WIPA that you gave us. Thanks again. :cheers3:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

wide_awake
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wide_awake » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:06 pm

LiverDance wrote: That is an Epic avatar you have there sir! Can't wait to try that WIPA that you gave us. Thanks again. :cheers3:
Ha! Thanks. Anyone know who the eyes in the background belong to?

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:09 pm

wide_awake wrote:
LiverDance wrote: That is an Epic avatar you have there sir! Can't wait to try that WIPA that you gave us. Thanks again. :cheers3:
Ha! Thanks. Anyone know who the eyes in the background belong to?
We all know who that joker is :spilly: It's Chalmers aka Chris
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

wide_awake
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wide_awake » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:23 pm

....is he behind me right now?...

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:37 pm

wide_awake wrote:....is he behind me right now?...
I am.

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:45 pm

I clearly underestimated both the beers other people would be able to brew with the grab bag ingredients and what was expected from the presentation. I was woefully unprepared to present and figured I'd play it safe and brew a normal beer expecting most of the weirder entries to fall flat (it's hard enough to innovate with unlimited access to familiar ingredients). In the end my boring ol' wheat beer was trounced by beers that were both different/unique and ace quality. Congratulations everybody and thank you for a great learning experience - you guys really know what you're doing in a way I can only hope to reach in the years to come. Glad I took the chance on this kind of zany competition even if it was a bit out of my comfort zone (only been brewing for about 8 months and a total of maybe 10 batches now?)

I look forward to being able to pick up a bottle of "where there's smoke, there's fire", even if the song will get stuck in my head as I drink it.

spickup
Verified User
Verified User

Post by spickup » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:36 pm

We took the same approach as Mitch, and brewed a 7.9% Black IPA that we called Bickering Black IPA.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:45 pm

I made a table strength dark saison fermented with a mixed culture of US-05 and T-58.

henry
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Henry Pedro

Post by henry » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:08 am

Hi guys,

First of all Emily and I want to thank you all for your patience this past Sunday. It was a colossally long day for everyone, but it appeared that everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

We are humbled by the amount of camaraderie that was displayed in the room, and equally humbled by the sheer quality of the beers presented. Well done to everyone. We can be proud to say that the best home brewers in the world live right here in Nova Scotia, and make beers under extremely adverse conditions, in cramped quarters, doing awesome things with their ingredients, RIMS systems, BIAB systems, homemade fermentation chambers, homemade electronic controls, and generally making magic with their setups.

Awesome.

A big shout out of thanks to Chris Reynolds of Stillwell for both judging and hosting the event, kudos to the kitchen and bar staff that kept everyone hydrated and fed, and a big thank you to Jeff Pinhey, Todd Beal and Chris "Photobomb" MacDonald for their help in judging.

And thanks to all of you who spent so much time making the best you could make.

As you may know by now the top three beers were:

3rd place Jason McDougall: Carbon-14 Strong Dark Belgian
2nd place Mark Reid: Hop Springs Eternal White IPA
1st place Brian Harvey: Where There's Smoke, There's Fire Smoked Cinnamon Beer

I am busy organizing all the score sheets and will scan them in and email them all to you in the next couple of days.

Henry

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:48 pm

We got our sheets back. Middle of the road.

I am happy with that. Thanks judges.

S

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:25 pm

Good comments/feedback! My only criticism is legibility - can't make out a few words on each sheet. Though, that may also be the scan... or maybe I just can't read!
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bowserm » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:34 pm

I was quite shocked at my cards and score. I assume that the winners has very high 40's. Either way this was my first competition and the feedback was great. If only they could score every beer I made.....

Return to “Competitions & Awards”