Pittsburgh Beers

Travelling? Discuss the "must visit" beer locations during your trip!
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Pittsburgh Beers

Post by LiverDance » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:03 pm

Heading to Pittsburgh for a sports weekend, anyone have any experience finding some good beers in that area? :cheers:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Re: Pittsburgh Beers

Post by Keith » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:48 am

I haven't been, but have always had success relying on google for good food and beer. So far I haven't been disappointed. Looks like a lot of great options.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pi ... +beer+bars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.thrillist.com/drink/pittsbu ... pittsburgh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Lucas

Post by Lucas » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:57 pm

I have an uncle from Toronto that goes to Pittsburgh quite frequently, mostly for the beer. I know for sure that he is a big fan of Fat Head's Saloon (I have had their Head Hunter IPA and it is fantastic). I can ask him if he has any other favourite spots.
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Lucas

Post by Lucas » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Here is what Dave sent on:

Fat Head's is a must, tell him to skip the appetizers as the meals are huge. 1805 E Carson St, Pittsburgh

Piper's Pub across the street from Fat Head's is good for something different after Fat Heads. 1828 E Carson St, Pittsburgh

Downtown, Sharp Creek is an okay if not a bit expensive. 922 Penn Ave, Pittsburgh

On the northshore, I haven't been but Beer Market looks okay. 110 Federal St, Pittsburgh

For a much bigger list - https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/14/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

Return to “Beer Abroad”