Travelling? Here are some good links to check

Travelling? Discuss the "must visit" beer locations during your trip!
chalmers
Name: Chris

Travelling? Here are some good links to check

Post by chalmers » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:50 pm

On your way to a new town/province/country? Here are some online resources to check.

Untappd - My new number one resource for places to visit/drink at. Who better to tell you where to drink, than the folks drinking there already? Download the app, search by proximity (or place name), and you've got a new hitlist!

RateBeer Places Has a greatly improving directory of spots, and is mappable by location, or proximity to a searched place.

http://www.beermapping.com An OK resource in the US and Canada for breweries, brewpubs, good beer bars, bottle shops and homebrew shops. It relies on user input, so if your favourite spot is missing or has out of date info, help them out! There are iOS and Android apps that rely on this database, for searching on the go.

BeerAdvocate's Beer DIrectory and Beerfly Search You can search by town name, or zip/postal code to find nearby spots. No mapping function, yet.

And of course, here!

wortly
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Tavelling? Here are some good links to check

Post by wortly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:30 am

Nice one Chalmers! I am heading to both Maine and Vermont next month - the beermap will come in handy.

PEIBeerGuy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PEIBeerGuy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:07 pm

The state of Maine has a decent "Beer Trail" map / guide, as well.
http://www.mainebrewersguild.org/BeerTrailWeb.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In related news, I'm jealous.
I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to WAIT!" - Mitch Hedberg

Blake

Post by Blake » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:02 am

wortly wrote:Nice one Chalmers! I am heading to both Maine and Vermont next month - the beermap will come in handy.
Where in Vermont and Maine? I can recommend a few micro-pubs and stores that are not on those lists. There is a little General Store in Vermont that has a surprisingly amazing selection, as well as micro-pubs in unlikely locations. Advise of what town or towns you will be in or near, and I'll post some info.

B
"You don't buy beer here -- you rent it"
Written wisdom in an English Pub water closet

berley
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: Shawn

Post by berley » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:49 am

wortly wrote:Nice one Chalmers! I am heading to both Maine and Vermont next month - the beermap will come in handy.
Re: Vermont. You may not have to be told this... but get/try as much Hill Farmstead as you can.
Co-author of the Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:53 pm

wortly's post is actually from a year ago, but I do know he's heading down again to Vt shortly. Lucky bastard will be passing by HF, Alchemist, Lawson's Finest, etc, etc.

berley
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: Shawn

Post by berley » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:26 pm

chalmers wrote:wortly's post is actually from a year ago, but I do know he's heading down again to Vt shortly. Lucky bastard will be passing by HF, Alchemist, Lawson's Finest, etc, etc.
Ha, I just saw the Feb 6th.. didn't bother looking at the year!

That'll be one fine beer trip, though. Not many places you could have that many fine breweries so close to one another.
Co-author of the Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca

Blake

Post by Blake » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:41 pm

Ah, yes--paying closer attention to dates is a good thing.

Nevertheless, for beer you can't bring back, try the Norwich Inn. It is just off I-91 and a worthy 10 minute drive off I-89. Jeremy always has a few select choices.

http://www.norwichinn.com/new-england-m ... weries.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As well, if you stay at the Inn, you are in one of the many epicenters to try craft beer that are not sold to the general public. However, if you bring a growler of something from the Maritimes, you will likely return with something special. Just sayin'
"You don't buy beer here -- you rent it"
Written wisdom in an English Pub water closet

wortly
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wortly » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:53 pm

berley wrote:
chalmers wrote:wortly's post is actually from a year ago, but I do know he's heading down again to Vt shortly. Lucky bastard will be passing by HF, Alchemist, Lawson's Finest, etc, etc.
Ha, I just saw the Feb 6th.. didn't bother looking at the year!

That'll be one fine beer trip, though. Not many places you could have that many fine breweries so close to one another.

Chalmers is right, I am making the trip (pilgrimage) again this year http://www.uvm.edu/extension/cropsoil/w ... yer-41.pdf. I will be driving this time. I have the route decided and Lawson's is definitely part of it - hopefully I make it to Burlington :spilly: .

Spent the afternoon/evening in the farmhouse in Burlington last year, definitely in the plans again for this year http://www.farmhousetg.com/FARMHOUSE_BeerList_Web.pdf.

The Hill Farmstead stuff was some of my favorite. The Vermont beerfest would make an excellent summer roadtrip.

ottiscan
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lew

A few BC Beers

Post by ottiscan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:12 am

I was recently in Whislter, BC and sampled a few micro brewery beers.

One, by the Tree Brewing Company in Kelowna was called Hop Head Pale Ale, and indeed was very hoppy and crisp. Excellent beer. And in true BC attitude their motto is
"Drink real ale, cause Bud is for smokin"

Another hoppy beer was Switchback IPA, by the Lighthouse Brewing Co. Also a great refreshing beer.

I had a few Granville Island, English Bay Pale Ales, they were good, but I think they're a bit more industrial since the take over.

Cheers

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:41 am

Glad to hear! Premier Wines carries several Tree Brewing beers, including Hop Head, though it appears to be out of stock currently. http://premierwines.ca/store/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The NSLC carries a few Granville Island beers, too. Pretty sure the English Pale Ale made it here, but also seems to be out of stock. http://www.mynslc.com/Pages/advancedSea ... ctiveTab=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jon S

Post by gm- » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:04 pm

ottiscan wrote:I was recently in Whislter, BC and sampled a few micro brewery beers.

One, by the Tree Brewing Company in Kelowna was called Hop Head Pale Ale, and indeed was very hoppy and crisp. Excellent beer. And in true BC attitude their motto is
"Drink real ale, cause Bud is for smokin"

Another hoppy beer was Switchback IPA, by the Lighthouse Brewing Co. Also a great refreshing beer.

I had a few Granville Island, English Bay Pale Ales, they were good, but I think they're a bit more industrial since the take over.

Cheers
Switchback IPA is great, did you try Tugboat IPA by Driftwood? By far my west coast favourite. Need to check out Tree Brewing.

I recently picked up a 6 pack of Granville Island English Bay Pale at NB Alcool, I was extremely disappointed, no hop flavour, just a bunch of repulsing sweet caramel flavours, and they claim it to be a "true west coast pale ale", I still have 4 bottles in my fridge that will probably go down the sink.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:39 pm

Heading to Vegas Thursday for the weekend. Anyone been to any good places for beer down there?
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:15 am

IIRC, Sin City is a good spot.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:33 am

http://acesandales.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.newyorknewyork.com/entertain ... ur-24.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sanitarium
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Andy

Post by Sanitarium » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi folks, I will be in Calgary for a week at the end of this month; any pub / brewery / food suggestions spring to mind?
Thanks X for the pointer to St. Alexandre in QC, very much enjoyed it. Delicious smoked meat and fantastic bottle selection :cheers2:

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:41 pm

I live in Calgary and there are a few good places.

Craft beer market and national are the two mainstream places that aren't bad.

My favourite place is beer revolution, they have the most unique selection of all the places in Calgary.

Coop liquor stores and highlander spirits are best Places to purchase specialty beer.

Also wild rose, pig and duke.

Finally if u have a chance get out to fallen timbre meadery.

If you are in canmore area there is grizzley paw which is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:55 pm

Coming soon....

I want to fix this thread title so bad, lol
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

chalmers

Re: Travelling? Here are some good links to check

Post by chalmers » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:20 pm

Ha! I can't believe that sat like that for two years. I wouldn't have been insulted if you had fixed it. :)

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Post by mthibodeau » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Does anybody have any suggestions for Singapore? Heading that way end of the week. If I find anything good ill be sure to report back
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:14 pm

mthibodeau wrote:Does anybody have any suggestions for Singapore? Heading that way end of the week. If I find anything good ill be sure to report back
Sorry, I haven't been to Singapore, but according to Rate Beer, there are a few brewpubs and restaurants worth checking into: http://www.ratebeer.com/places/city/singapore/0/177/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's all relative, but I usually keep to those with scores above 75, but in a sparsely-brew-populated spot like Singapore, you'll probably have to go below that threshold.

From that first link, you can create, and then print a map, good for exploring: http://www.ratebeer.com/beermap?p=0&z=1 ... n=10384422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TJ Brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Trevor Jamieson

Post by TJ Brew » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:14 pm

Headed to Hawaii (Kauai and Maui Islands) in a couple of weeks. Anyone have any suggestions on which breweries to check out?
On Tap "in bottles": winter beer (spiced beer, nutmeg, cinnamon, star anise, ginger, cloves)
In Secondary:
In Primary: winter beer (spiced beer, nutmeg, cinnamon, star anise, ginger, cloves)
Up Next:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Post by ackes » Wed May 11, 2016 12:50 pm

Heading to San Francisco in June, and wondering if anyone's been there and has any suggestions of places to try. We're going to be staying in the Union square area. I have used the links above: beerfly, and beermapping and looks like there are a bunch that are close.

Anyone tried any of the following?:

Bartlett Hall
Pine St Brewery
Cellarmaker
Fort point beer company
21st amendmant
Thirsty Bear
Anchor brewery

We're also heading to Nappa for a few days (wife's more of a wine drinker - and we'll be doing a few wineries), but curious if there are any decent breweries out there either? Obviously you go there for the wine - but just hoping there might be something worth trying while we're there.

Thanks for any input / suggestions,
Cheers
:mebeer:
Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

toddthebeerdude
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Todd

Post by toddthebeerdude » Thu May 12, 2016 1:15 am

Cellarmaker beers was fantastic. I liked 21st amendment and Anchor brewery. Thirsty Bear was OK. Magnolia in Dogpatch has great BBQ. I loved Mikkeller Bar, well worth a visit.
ackes wrote:Heading to San Francisco in June, and wondering if anyone's been there and has any suggestions of places to try. We're going to be staying in the Union square area. I have used the links above: beerfly, and beermapping and looks like there are a bunch that are close.

Anyone tried any of the following?:

Bartlett Hall
Pine St Brewery
Cellarmaker
Fort point beer company
21st amendmant
Thirsty Bear
Anchor brewery

We're also heading to Nappa for a few days (wife's more of a wine drinker - and we'll be doing a few wineries), but curious if there are any decent breweries out there either? Obviously you go there for the wine - but just hoping there might be something worth trying while we're there.

Thanks for any input / suggestions,
Cheers
:mebeer:

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Thu May 12, 2016 9:21 pm

I've heard City Beer is a good bottle shop/place to drink. Haven't been out that way yet myself though.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

Return to “Beer Abroad”