Louisville, Kentucky

Travelling? Discuss the "must visit" beer locations during your trip!
Seanstoppable
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Louisville, Kentucky

Post by Seanstoppable » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:34 pm

A recent work trip to KY meant I could check out some of the local watering holes. Unfortunately I had to leave just as their Craft Beer Week was starting, but I found the following places:

1) Bluegrass Brewing Company (http://www.bbcbrew.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

There are a number of pubs/tasting rooms. Some nice beverages, including a fantastic bourbon barrel stout.

2) Against the Grain Brewery and Smokehouse (http://www.atgbrewery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

OH MY GOD. Go here. Go here and have the sampler. Go here and have the sampler and have something to eat. Almost (or maybe all) their food is made in house. I had the 'ham'burger with house slaw and it blew me away, especially given the price. If I had to live in Louisville, I would probably be there every week. They make odder ales, like a watermelon with pepper ale. I think they are the Nash, brewing stuff that strikes their fancy, love a good hop bomb ("So Double It's Triple IPA" was pretty awesome), and are foodies to boot. Good food, good beer, good service, good price.

ajcarp
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: John & Anita Carpenter

Re: Louisville, Kentucky

Post by ajcarp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 am

Sean,

Sounds like a great time. :spilly: Too bad you had to let work get in the way of some of your beer time. :mebeer:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 am

There's nothing odd about watermelon and pepper beer to me. We drained a keg at our block party. :-)

Sent from my Nexus S
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Post by Tim Gregory » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:30 am

I didn't get to any breweries when I was there, but I did visit the Louisville beer store which was one of the most wonderful places I've ever been.

I picked up a 6pack of the Bluegrass Turtle something IPA that was not so great

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:34 am

Good to know about Against the Grain Brewery. I go to Louisville regularly but haven't been to that place. I can't seem to get myself out of the Liquor Barns and Party Source stores when I go to Louisville. The beer selection at these places is unbelievable (well, for someone from NS which isn't saying much :lol:)

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Highly recommended as well if you're in Kentucky (we still have a few bottles in the fridge!): http://www.kentuckyale.com/kentucky-bourbon-barrel-ale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Beer Abroad”