Belgium - Ter Dolen brewery

Travelling? Discuss the "must visit" beer locations during your trip!
HidiBrew2u2
Name: Pam

Belgium - Ter Dolen brewery

Post by HidiBrew2u2 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:45 am

Our neighbours celebrated their birthdays at this brewery a few weeks ago. And were we in for a treat! We sat outside on the terrace in the middle of the old farmyard carré and enjoyed a Kriek to start. :cheers2:
When everyone had arrived, we got a private tour (they do general tours at 3pm every Sat/Sun for €7 per person 1 full drink included) which was quite enjoyable. Not a large brewery, they brew 4000 hectoliters per year.

The beers I tasted:
Ter Dolen Kriek - Not a real Kriek, as this was much sweeter, but nice all the same, especially when the sun is out, light on the alcohol. 4.5%
Ter Dolen Armand - named in honour of the owner's father. Very mildly hoppy. The guide told us, he was instructed not to mention the word bitter, as it has a negative connotation for most people.... But it was only mildly bitter, very fruity and nice. Alcohol 7 % The Armand won a Gold at the first international Beer contest in Belgium : The Brussels Beer Challenge in 2012.
They also have a Blond, Donker and Triple available.

They also carry a beer cheese, you could buy a whole cheese for €19 - good price for cheese, and you are allowed to bring a whole one back with you, up to 20kilos is the last limit I saw on the CBSA website, for personal use however YMMV. This was very nice and they serve some other snacks. Sadly no great food available, although there are some restaurants nearby. You could stay at the castle where the owner lives, there's a well layed out suite, with kitchen, with all kinds of luxeries, quite expensive though. The hotel Belfleur came recommended by our neighbours, it's only a 15 minute walk away, sadly for us it was fully booked. They have nine rooms. It's a nice area for a bike or walking tour, more breweries are available :cheers:

As I was driving later that evening I switched to teas, and thanks to the obligation by the French to carry two alcohol testers in your car at all times, from a previous trip, when we drove back at midnight, I knew I was back at a 0 level of alcohol. According to both those testers. We did buy a couple of bottles at the pub (you can buy until they close at midnight....) only €6 for a 4 bottle mix pack to take back home. It was well worth the 2+ hour drive....

The brewery: http://www.terdolen.be/en/
The Belfleur hotel: http://www.hotelbelfleur.be/engels.php?content=homeen

chalmers
Name: Chris

Re: Belgium - Ter Dolen brewery

Post by chalmers » Mon May 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks for the report! Sounds like a fun day, and a great spot to visit.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Re: Belgium - Ter Dolen brewery

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Tue May 05, 2015 1:18 am

Great story! Love that a place like that can be 2 or 3 hours away... Europe.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Return to “Beer Abroad”