Germany/France/Belgium trip July 2015

Travelling? Discuss the "must visit" beer locations during your trip!
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Germany/France/Belgium trip July 2015

Post by Jayme » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi folks,

Brenna & I are heading to Europe on July 11th and while we've done a lot of planning thus far, just wondering if anyone has must see/must NOT see tips? Our travel plans are:

Arrive in Frankfurt, immediately take a train to Heidelberg, 1 day/night there
Train to Paris for 5 days
Train to Bruseels for 5 days - planning to rent a car for some places around the country
Train to Cologne for another 1-2 days
Train back to Frankfurt and home
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Re: Germany/France/Belgium trip July 2015

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:09 pm

My wife, my parents and I did a trip through the Netherlands, Belgium and France this spring.

We only spent 2 nights in Belgium and I really would have liked more time there. We stayed in Bruges and we thought it was lovely. It's a bit of a tourist town, sure, so if you're adverse to that then be forewarned. We did the De Halve Maan brewery tour and thought it was great - definitely geared to those with less than average brewing knowledge, but it was fun all the same. They had a small selection of decent beers, including a wild triple which I thought was good.

Paris-wise, we hit the highlights and I don't have too much to offer there. The Musee Rodin was partially under construction when we were there, much of the collection was not on display, so you might want to check on that, if you're interested (though the garden is still open, which was very enjoyable). We found France to be a bit of a beer-wasteland... we did find a couple of stores with a nice selection. Coming from Belgium, it was a bit of a let down to say the least. If you're a wine drinker, I'm sure you'll weather that storm better than we did. :)

Have fun!

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:35 pm

I could not go to France without http://www.junobeach.org/plan-your-visit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But there must be a similar thing in Belgium.

S

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:46 pm

:stupid:

Agreed - we did a guided tour of Juno beach and surrounding area, stopped in at the Juno Beach centre as well. Very well done.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:39 pm

Bring tissues!

S

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:52 pm

I think we are going to spend a day in Bruges so more than likely will hit up De Halve Mann. I've also been in touch with Dany at Fantome.

Been doing some research on beer in Paris and yeah, doesn't sound like there's a lot, but hopefully will check out a couple of the new beer bars and bottle shops.

Not sure we'll make it out to Juno beach though... how long does it take to get there from Paris? I'm guessing the train would be $50-100 each both ways, so that may not be in the budget.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:08 pm

I drank 2€ red wine when I was in France, no regrets. In Belgium, of course cantillon is cool, you could find out if you can see their new facility or whatever too maybe? Boogie recommended 3 fontainen which is just outside Brussels but I didn't make it. Also eat as many waffles as you can, the little stall by the pisen statue makes good omes for around 1€. Or 1.5 maybe.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:53 pm

I have some suggestions you can take as you wish. If you don't have it, I highly recommend the Good Beer Guide To Belgium. I worked in Brussels for a few months and this guide was invaluable to me (but not my liver). A good beer-centric restaurant in Brussels is "In 't Spinnekopke". Near Mannekin Pis statue is a great spot for beer called Poechenellekelder. Great beers and very fun, knowledgeable staff. Any street vendor selling frites make good cheap meals on the go in any city in Belgium. You can get excellent frites toppings like chicken curry and make a meal out of it for very little money.

There's another beer café somewhere outside of Brussels at a train station (inside an old train station building) that I can't recall the name of or where exactly it is but I will try to find it for you. You basically go out back behind the bar to the cellar and pick out your bottle of what you want and bring it to the bartender. The bartender opens and pours it for you in the matching glassware and gives you a wooden model train car. When you're done for the evening you take your train cars up to the cash to pay. It was small but very well stocked and a memorable experience (except I can't recall the name of the café now). I also highly recommend going to the In Flanders Fields War Museum in Ypres. It was very well done.
I miss Belgium - it's my Disney World for beer and food.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:56 pm

Definitely going to check out Cantillon and HOPEFULLY going to make it to 3 fontaine but their hours suck - pretty much we're taking a super early train out of Paris, and hopefully get there in time as that's the only day they're open while we're there.

I'll buy that book tonight I think... and write down those restaurants!

Keep the suggestions coming! And please do let me know if you guys did anything that really sucked ass and wouldn't waste time doing again!

TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Post by TimG » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Suggestion.. enjoy! :headbang:

Oh, and :moon: :moon: (I wanna go to Europe..)

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Just go man! We made the decision hung over as fuck at Chez Tess! Boom, just like that! haha

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:16 pm

Although now you're in cowtown, it is that much further to get there haha. Flights out west from here are almost as much as a flight to Frankfurt. We got our for less that $1k each round trip.

becik
Name: Piotr

Post by becik » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:43 pm

What especially looking? Brewpubs?

donking
Verified User
Verified User
Name: GC

Post by donking » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:37 pm

I lived 5 months in France and I have to say that I would not spend 5 days in Paris, but if it's your first time ever in France I'm sure you'll enjoy it. To me France is the best wine producing country in the world, but not so good for beer. So I would say make sure to drink as much wine as you can in France. The food in France is amazing.

Père Lachaise Cemetery(especially if you are a fan of jim Morrison and other great writers and artists) is a thing to see that is not always listed on tourist guides and it`s free.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:42 pm

I don't have much of a say in amount of time spent in Paris haha. The Belgium side of things is really for me. I do of course intend to try some wine, but I like to try local micros everywhere I go, so I'll at least seek out a bit of beer in Paris - sounds like the scene has been growing a fair bit. I think that cemetery is on the list!

Thanks!

becik
Name: Piotr

Post by becik » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:26 am

Paris

1. 6 avenue Jean Aicard, La Fine Mousse
Bar with crafted beers, about 20 on taps, http://www.lafinemousse.fr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. 10bis Avenue Kléber, Frog XVI, brewpub

3, 13 rue Jacques Louvel Tessier, Le Triangle, brewpub http://www.triangleparis.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4, 25, quai des Grands Augustins, The Great Canadian Pub, bar http://www.tgcparis.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5 10 rue Wurtz, Brasserie la Parisienne, microbrewery http://brasserielaparisienne.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6, 28 rue de la Goutte d’Or, Goutte d’Or, microbrewery, http://www.brasserielagouttedor.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Shane

Post by canuck » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:16 am

For Paris, I would also check out La Taverne de Cluny. Lots of great craft beers on tap and in bottles.

http://www.latavernedecluny.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Beer Abroad”