Barcelona Summer 2015

Travelling? Discuss the "must visit" beer locations during your trip!
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Barcelona Summer 2015

Post by mumblecrunch » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:34 pm

I am currently sitting in the Montreal airport awaiting my next flight, which will take me to Barcelona where I'll be staying in the Eixample area for three days before embarking on a cruise.

I've used the resources in the sticky thread and have determined that I would be insane not to consider this place given that it's a 5 minute ride (20 minute walk) from where I'm staying. There's also a Brewdog pub around the corner from that place and also an American microbrewery called Edge Brewing close by.

I'm not traveling with "beer people" so I'm probably only getting to do one of these places and I assume my best bang for the buck is at BierCab. Anyone got any suggestions for beers to try while I'm there? Obviously it's dependent on the tap list that night but they appear to have a pretty extensive bottle list too. I enjoy all styles of beer to different degrees; I like lambic a but have been warned that too much lambic in an evening can have an "undesirable impact."

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Re: Barcelona Summer 2015

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:53 pm

hmm, i was there a year or so ago - i dont really have any beer suggestions, but a couple general tourism suggestions:

-defeinitely check out La Sagrada Familia - just amazing architecture (i would never normally consider paying to wander around a church, but wandering around a still-being-constructed basilica designed by Gaudi is a different beast).
-get tapas somewhere. if you are in southern spain, some places give you free tapas with every beer you order, its amazing.
-wander around old town

the only beer related thing i saw is in the picture below. i didnt go so i cant recommend it - just thought it was a bizarre/funny name
IMG_20140108_151415.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:04 am

I say go for the lambics, myself, but I really enjoyed Naparbier's offerings while in Madrid earlier this year. http://naparbier.com/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I.P.EH
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Adam

Post by I.P.EH » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:17 am

Check out BierCab in Barcelona. Its rated the number 2 beer bar in the world on RateBeer. I got to check it out last summer and I was not disappointed.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:39 am

I.P.EH wrote:Check out BierCab in Barcelona. Its rated the number 2 beer bar in the world on RateBeer. I got to check it out last summer and I was not disappointed.
Yup, that was the first link in my post. Myself and brother-in-law (mostly BMC drinker, but learning) are going tonight with our wives. Tap list looks pretty insane with a couple of Naparbiers some lambics, and some crazy-looking imperial stouts and barley wines.

What's left of me will try to report later ;)

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Barcelona Summer 2015

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Wow. Wow. Wow.

I did two flights (5 each) off the taps at BierCab tonight. The first was pretty scattershot with a couple of fairly light beers followed by some motor oil stouts. I was trying to get the ones my brother-in-law would really hate out of the way before ordering a second flight. Let's just say he didn't appreciate the Prairie Artisan/Evil Twin Bible Belt.

The second was a much better progression of hoppier beers.

Lots of Siren Craft brews out of the UK on the list. Their standard stout, American IPA and all-Brett pale were all winners in my book.

BierCab is the bomb. Highly recommended if you find yourself in Barcelona. The guys were nice enough to go next door to the (closed) bottle shop to grab me a T-shirt.

Here's a shot of the 30 taps and the bartender who, to my knowledge, pulled every beer in the three hours I was there except for the 5 minutes he was in the bathroom.

For the record I'm mumblecrunch on Untapd if you want to see what I drank.

becik
Name: Piotr

Post by becik » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:18 pm

In Barcelona i know the brewpubs

1. Cervesera Artesana, Carrer de Sant Agusti 14, near metro station Diagonal
2. El Vaso de Oro, C. de Balboa 6
3. BlackLab Brewhouse, PALAU DE MAR, PLAÇA PAU VILA 1
4. Garage Beer Co, c/ Consell de cent, 261

Multitap with about 30 differents beers:
BierCaB, Carrer de Muntaner 55

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:27 am

Keep it up Aaron. Nice to see it in almost real time.

S

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:13 pm

:rockin:
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Begather
Name: Stanley Johnson

Post by Begather » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:03 am

I.P.EH wrote:Check out BierCab in Barcelona. Its rated the number 2 beer bar in the world on RateBeer. I got to check it out last summer and I was not disappointed.
I have visited that place last month when i was in Barcelona, The beer was actually very delicious.

Return to “Beer Abroad”