Grainfather Pilsner

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Grainfather Pilsner

Post by elreplica » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:09 am

Hey fellow Grainfather users...anyone cook up a killer sessionable Pilsner with their GF? I know there's lots on Connect cloud and such but wanting some trusty Brewnoser feedback...haven't used my Connect since I fvcked up a recipe last spring and thus a little gunshy lol...
Favourable styles: breadiness of a Steam Whistle/Grolsch or something along the lines of a Beck's/ Bitburger/Warsteiner/Radeburger/
Urquell...Bohemian or Bavarian styles...
At Bat: Czech Pils
On Deck: Marzen Lager, ESB
In the Hole: Maple Wheat
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clone
On tap: Pils, Marzen, Baltic Porter

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Re: Grainfather Pilsner

Post by Celiacbrew » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:39 am

Sure thing. I’m currently drinking one.
1.046 og. 100% pilsner. 65 mash temp. For the water I used 5ml 75% phosphoric and one teaspoon of CaCl2.

Ibu 30 I think I used loral for bittering because I had some on hand. At 20 min 1oz hallertauer, 0min 1oz Hallertauer. Once the groundwater gets colder and I can transfer at full speed I might do those as 30 min and 10mins.

For fermentation I used a big slurry of the Budweiser strain. But any lager yeast would work as long as it is an attenuative one. I use O2 for one minute. I ferment at 12c then when fermentation slows almost to a stop I bring it up to 16c for a couple days.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks Mike. Is this recipe on the Connect site? What was the bittering hop? And what style/ brand would you say it best matches? Time for me to clean my Lager fridge lol.
At Bat: Czech Pils
On Deck: Marzen Lager, ESB
In the Hole: Maple Wheat
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clone
On tap: Pils, Marzen, Baltic Porter

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 am

It’s not on connect. For a beer like that I don’t really use the software. I know I need about 10lbs of grain and then I adjust my pre-boil gravity to give me the right finishing gravity after boiling off 2 litres.

I’m pretty sure the bittering hop was loral but you could use anything and it won’t make a difference.

For the style, I don’t know. It has softer water than a German pils and it doesn’t use the spicy saaz hops of a bohemian pils. And it is too bitter for an American light lager. Maybe pre-production lager? But it doesn’t have a corn aroma or taste. I think really I would say it is brewed to my preference :) I don’t like the sulphur note I get from adding gypsum so I tend not to like German pils. I like saaz but if you make it hoppy I find saaz overpowering. I wish I could compare to a commercial beer but I can’t drink very many commercial beers.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

Return to “Recipes”