Flaked Coconut

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
timcress10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Cress

Flaked Coconut

Post by timcress10 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:00 am

Hiya folks. I'm on the hunt for a new additive for my next batch of beer. I've been really intrigued by NewtoHomeBrewTom on Youtube and one of his recipes that he's dubbed "Coconut ShyPA". His recipe calls for roughly 2 200g additions of toasted coconut; 1 for the boil and the other with a dry hop addition. Wondering where anyone who has used flaked coconut bought from? His recipe calls for unsweetened, flaked coconut that he toasts himself.

Any recommendations on where to pick up some flaked coconut, or if you think I could get away with toasting some shredded coconut instead. Thanks!
Tim Cress

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: Flaked Coconut

Post by Jimmy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 am

Natural food section in Sobeys. I suspect Petes Frootique, Bulk Barn, or Organic Earth would also sell it.
Custom BIAB's, tap handles, coasters & more!- http://www.mashedin.beer/

timcress10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by timcress10 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:43 am

Jimmy wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 am
Natural food section in Sobeys. I suspect Petes Frootique, Bulk Barn, or Organic Earth would also sell it.
Thanks! Checked our local Sobeys and couldn't find any....I've got some folks checking on the nearest Bulk Barn, and I'll check out Superstore.
Tim Cress

mckay75
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:48 am

I picked mine up at bulk barn when I used it in a milk stout. Keep an eye on it if you are toasting it...doesn't take long to start to brown.

timcress10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by timcress10 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 am

mckay75 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:48 am
I picked mine up at bulk barn when I used it in a milk stout. Keep an eye on it if you are toasting it...doesn't take long to start to brown.
I'd heard that....the original recipe calls for baking it but I've also read that it's easier to monitor in a non-stick or even a cast-iron pan. Did you end up toasting yours for the milk stout addition?
Tim Cress

mckay75
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am

I did. I had to toss my first batch because I wasn't paying attention and burned it. 2nd time around was perfect. Added a real nice flavour to the stout.

Return to “Recipes”