2020 Advent Calendar - Dec 31 - Short Division Hoppy Saison w/ Brett

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

2020 Advent Calendar - Dec 31 - Short Division Hoppy Saison w/ Brett

Post by mumblecrunch » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:17 pm

Same recipe as when I made this for the 2018 exchange, which in turn came from a magazine. The thread for that beer is
here.

I used Bestmalz Heidelberg for my base, which gives it a super light color. I used torrified wheat, because that’s what I usually use for wheat when it’s an accent rather than a base malt as I find it a little less doughy than white wheat. And I used golden naked oats because I have them and they’re awesome.

Hops are all Enigma, which should not be a surprise to anyone who was part of the most recent hop group buy

Rather than ferment with a saison yeast and add Brett later, I tried the Escarpment Labs Fruit Bomb Saison blend, which is a Sacch and Brett blend designed to accentuate fruity flavors.

I’ve cracked a few of these now and to me it’s tasting like a hoppy beer with a bit of saison yeast character and a bit of Brett. In theory if you leave it a while the hops will fade and the Brett develop more, but I’m not sure it’ll ever get to a full-on Brett beer, so I’d probably recommend enjoying it now as an example of Enigma hops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Re: 2020 Advent Calendar - Dec 31 - Short Division Hoppy Saison w/ Brett

Post by KB1138 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:25 pm

Having this now, it's lovely. Really enjoy the dry and spicy yeast character, exactly what I want in a saison. Not too familiar with Enigma hops but the fruity/citrusy character melds well with whats going on underneath. Well done, thanks for sharing
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:09 pm

Enjoying this right now!

What a nice brew, and what a happy beer.
IMG_20201231_220827802_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:46 am

Ooops, forgot the specifics for this batch.

First off, I used more like 80g for flameout hops and probably closer to 100g for dry hops because I was finishing up a pound. Bittering was 16g Pekko for ~25 IBU (it can be a little herbal, but I figured I could get away with it in this style).

I have struggled with some efficiency issues over the last year (although I think I know why - I'm blaming the software ;) - and am working on getting that sorted out), but OG was 1.050 vs 1.061 predicted) and FG was 1.004, giving an estimated ABV of 6.1%, which I think probably gives a more drinkable beer than the 1.061 OG and 7.4% ABV as predicted.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:56 am

I’m behind schedule so I’m looking forward to trying this tonight. What did you use for the brett, dregs from last years beer?

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:57 am

amartin wrote:I’m behind schedule so I’m looking forward to trying this tonight. What did you use for the brett, dregs from last years beer?

Nope. See above. Or click here :)

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:05 pm

Oops, ha ha. Thanks.

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by jmacdonald » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:25 pm

Usually turned off where brett is involved. I think with the mixture it was quite subdued and thus quite tasty! Thanks!

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:14 am

I drank this a month ago and kept forgetting to post about it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, as expected. The Brett had already come through pretty significantly which is A-ok in my book. I am always amazed at how quickly it can funk things up - we put some old Brett I had kept in the fridge into a side 4 l batch of the RIS Jaybab made for the calendar, and it has been amazing to watch it develop since we bottled it.. I only wish I had more... maybe I'll make something like that for next time.

Speaking of which, Chris was supposed to come and get the two entries from Moncton to finally bring them to HRM, but Moncton went to the red zone the week before, so it has been postponed yet again. Sorry again to all for the delay and hassle.Image

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Return to “Recipes”