Enigma hops

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
JanaM
Name: Jana

Enigma hops

Post by JanaM » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:34 am

Does anyone have any recipes using enigma hops? 5g preferably and IPA is my fave but will consider anything. Thanks!

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Re: Enigma hops

Post by Woody » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:46 am

Jana I take my favourite IPA recipes and try different hops all the time. I haven't used Enigma before but I know IPA's. For a 6 gall batch i sometimes use (scale down to 5 g) 10 lbs Maris Otter or 2 Row. 5 lbs Munich and 8 oz Cara Pils and 8 oz Crystal 30. My OG for this grain bill is 1.068. You could use a neutral bittering hop at 60 mins like Warrior, Columbus, Galena, Chinook etc maybe 1 oz and I'd late hop with the Enigma. Load your numbers into Beersmith or an online calculator and see what is looks like when you add Enigma at 20, 15, 10, 5 and flameout. Add some more for dry hop. You could also do a SMaSH with Maris Otter and all Enigma. You'll learn how to pick out that hop in a beer. I love IPA's too so I'd up those late hops even more. 60 min hop additions aren't even necessary. You could hop burst 20 mins home to get your desired IBU. Sky is the limit. Enjoy and nothing better than making a beer you own with things you like. Why not add a 1 lbs of honey at flameout etc.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:18 pm

HA HA. I SEE NOW YOU MEANT 5 GALLON BATCH, NOT 5 GRAMS! I'LL LEAVE MY PREVIOUS COMMENT IN CASE ANYONE ELSE IS CONFUSED. :)

5 grams is a minuscule amount for an IPA (or even a pale ale). You could throw it into the mix with some other hops, but its going to get lost, and you'll lose what you probably want to do: see what is unique and different about this baby.

I'd brew up something like Jamil's blonde and then throw the hops in as a very late addition. Run the numbers, but with the really high alpha of Enigma, you might even be able to get away with a late addition covering your bittering as well.

Jason

JanaM
Name: Jana

Post by JanaM » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:49 pm

Yes..5 GALLON lol I guess I should have been more clear about that.
I'm intrigued by the SMaSH idea..I think I'll give it a go, thanks guys!

Return to “Recipes”