IPA Recipe Help

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
whitnes10
Name: Stew Whitney

IPA Recipe Help

Post by whitnes10 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:42 pm

Can I have your thoughts on my recipe? After creating this recipe, I made this once and the flavour was/is amazing, we love it. The problem is carbonation. For what ever reason, it's been almost 2 months now and out of the 15 or so we have tried, only 4 have been carbonated. Is there anything wrong with the recipe to cause this? Bottles? etc?

We want to brew it again because we love it, but want to make sure it carbonates properly. This is the first time we've ever experienced this problem.

Any help would be great!!! Here's the recipe:

Fight or Flight IPA

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.82 gal
Color: 10.7 SRM
Bitterness: 68.9 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.066
Est FG: 1.015 SG
ABV: 6.6%

Ingredients
10.58 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
7.05 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
9 lbs 14.73 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 60 min
1.00 oz Magnum [14.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 45 min
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 30 min
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 20 min
0.75 oz Falconer's Flight [12.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min)
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight [12.0%] - Boil 1 min
1 pkgs Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

***I carbonate with corn sugar in the Grolsh bottles.

Thanks!

JanaM
Name: Jana

Re: IPA Recipe Help

Post by JanaM » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:12 pm

I had this problem with a batch of porter when I was still bottle conditioning...I read online that you can flip the bottles upside down for a week or so and flip them back and wait another week and it re-activates the yeast and will finish carbonating. I tried it and it actually worked...it may be worth a try in your case.

Bizlair
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Blair

Post by Bizlair » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:51 pm

How many times have you used the Grolsch bottles? Could it be a seal issue?

You can buy replacement gaskets. Just a thought.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:31 am

This isn't an issue with the recipe. It's most likely a seal issue as mentioned above. With that many flat bottles I'd replace the seals. What temperature do you carbonate your bottles at? How do you add corn sugar? Do you bulk prime and do you boil water and dissolve the corn sugar in or dump sugar directly in where it might not all get dissolved and stick to the bottom of the fermenter? Try a few bottles next time that you need to cap and see how they carbonate. Next time tilt your bottles gently to make sure they have a good seal and don't leak once capped.

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:45 am

Thanks for all the responses! I have been in the process of replacing all my seals but this batch of bottles I have not gotten to yet, but obviously will where it seems to be the problem. I actually had some luck this weekend and 6 of 8 were carbonated. So maybe they just needed more time, even though it's been close to 2 months now.

How often should the seals need to be replaced? ie. every 5 batches? 10? This is the first time I'll be replacing them in about 2 years, which will be probably close to 10 batches with this set of bottles.

As for priming, I do bulk priming, mixing the corn sugar into 1 cup of boiling water first. It's always worked well, so I'm think this is more of a seal problem... Either way more of them seem to be carbonated now, so at least I get to enjoy 1/2 the batch.

What's the process for kegging? What equipment would I need if I were to go that route? It's something I've talked about a bit but not familiar with at all.

Thanks again!

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Post by Broob » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:24 am

I honestly wouldn't be brewing anymore if I was still bottling. I have a very simple keg set up. Got it from Dave. 1 5lb CO2 tank, 3-way gas manifold that connects to three picnic taps. Whole thing sits in a fridge. Not as pretty as faucets but no complaints. Of course you need kegs as well. I was hesitant due to the up front cost but I picked away at it. Found a cheap tank on kijiji and then a few kegs and then bought the manifold, taps and lines from Dave.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

Bizlair
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Blair

Post by Bizlair » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:34 am

Where are you conditioning? What temperature?

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:58 am

Broob wrote:I honestly wouldn't be brewing anymore if I was still bottling. I have a very simple keg set up. Got it from Dave. 1 5lb CO2 tank, 3-way gas manifold that connects to three picnic taps. Whole thing sits in a fridge. Not as pretty as faucets but no complaints. Of course you need kegs as well. I was hesitant due to the up front cost but I picked away at it. Found a cheap tank on kijiji and then a few kegs and then bought the manifold, taps and lines from Dave.
Yeah I've been looking at his kegorator kits on his site , actually looking right now, definitely a high upfront cost, but something I may look into eventually when its in the budget, as I'd need a fridge too. I'd probably get 2x 5gal tanks, since I normally have 2 brews going at once. Do you need the big Co2 tank? I see there are small individual ones? how much Co2 is used to carbonate you 5gal tank?

Broob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Broob » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:07 am

whitnes10 wrote:
Broob wrote:I honestly wouldn't be brewing anymore if I was still bottling. I have a very simple keg set up. Got it from Dave. 1 5lb CO2 tank, 3-way gas manifold that connects to three picnic taps. Whole thing sits in a fridge. Not as pretty as faucets but no complaints. Of course you need kegs as well. I was hesitant due to the up front cost but I picked away at it. Found a cheap tank on kijiji and then a few kegs and then bought the manifold, taps and lines from Dave.
Yeah I've been looking at his kegorator kits on his site , actually looking right now, definitely a high upfront cost, but something I may look into eventually when its in the budget, as I'd need a fridge too. I'd probably get 2x 5gal tanks, since I normally have 2 brews going at once. Do you need the big Co2 tank? I see there are small individual ones? how much Co2 is used to carbonate you 5gal tank?
Sorry that was 1x5lb tank, so 5 lb. That's a pretty small tank and with three kegs it's empty in 4 or 5 months.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:14 am

Ah okay, so a 5lbs Co2 tank will be good for a good number of brews.

How does carbonation work? When you put transfer the finished beer to the keg, what is the time frame to start enjoying it? I know with the bottle and bulk priming, usually it's at least 2 weeks before I can start enjoying.

From start (mash/boiling) to finish (drinking) what is a general time frame?

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:27 am

We burst carbonate a la the Brulosophy method (24 hours at ~ 40 psi) and it's pretty well carbonated after 24 hours Another couple of days at 12 psi and it's usually perfect. That said - there are a million different carbonation schedules out there... I feel like everyone has their own method. The fermentation schedule of your beer is going to influence how long it takes to go from mashing to drinking. For something we want to drink super fresh (an IPA or APA) it's usually 2 weeks from grain to glass.

We have a 5 lb tank and it definitely lasts a number of brews. Haven't had ours refilled since April and we've probably kegged 10 or so beers since then.

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:39 am

Awesome! So really after all after all the up front costs, it seems pretty easy and efficient!

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:39 pm

darciandjenn wrote:We burst carbonate a la the Brulosophy method (24 hours at ~ 40 psi) and it's pretty well carbonated after 24 hours Another couple of days at 12 psi and it's usually perfect. That said - there are a million different carbonation schedules out there... I feel like everyone has their own method. The fermentation schedule of your beer is going to influence how long it takes to go from mashing to drinking. For something we want to drink super fresh (an IPA or APA) it's usually 2 weeks from grain to glass.

We have a 5 lb tank and it definitely lasts a number of brews. Haven't had ours refilled since April and we've probably kegged 10 or so beers since then.

How tall are the 5 gal kegs that I would get from Everwood? Just want to try and figure out what size fridge I would need for 2 of them to fit in. Do you also put the Co2 tank in the fridge or is that kept on the outside? I've been reading the procedures on how to turn a mini fridge into a kegorator and it seems pretty self explanatory. Just want to make sure when I get a fridge that it's large enough.

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User

Post by darciandjenn » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:25 pm

That depends on if you go with Ball lock or Pin lock kegs. I'd talk to Dave about it, if you have questions.

Myself, I fit two ball lock kegs and a 5 lb CO2 tank in a 4.4 Cu. Ft Danby mini fridge (no freezer). The CO2 goes on the compressor hump. It's tight but it works.

Broob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Broob » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Mine is a standard size white fridge with the freeze on top. $20 on kijiji - fits four kegs and my CO2 tank no problem. Room for yeast as well. Hops in the freezer above. It's in the garage so not concerned with how pretty it is.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah I think I'm going to go out tomorrow, want to make a new batch this weekend so I will talk to him about it.

Is there much difference between ball and pin lock kegs? From the little I've read, it seems like it's more preference.

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Post by mthibodeau » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:36 pm

They are different sizes, ball lock are taller and skinnier, while pin lock are shorter and fatter. If you go the mini fridge route you typically have to go ball lock to fit two, the pin locks are just a bit too big

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:50 am

Okay so I'm just wondering if this fridge would fit two kegs in it? Would love to get it and turn it into a kegorator, but definitely want 2 kegs and a double tap.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/dan ... 91491.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User

Post by darciandjenn » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:00 am

I pretty much have this exact fridge, though not branded Coors. I can fit two ball lock kegs and a 5 lb CO2 canister on the compressor hump. It's tight but it works. I had to cut off all of the extra plastic shelving from the door. Not a big job.

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:18 am

Awesome! I might just pic it up then. Just have to figure out where to drill up top, so I don't ruin anything. I can get this fridge for $150, it's more than I wanted to spend, but it's tough finding a compact fridge without a top freezer. There's only really so many options.

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User

Post by darciandjenn » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:36 am

I paid $100 used with a couple of dings / scuffs / stains. $150 doesn't seem too outrageous.

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:48 am

Yeah it's brand new, still in box from Kijiji. So I think I may pick it up and wait until I can afford all the supplies. But in the mean time I could just use it to store my bottled beer and hops. Thanks for the input!

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Post by mthibodeau » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:38 pm

I haven't built one myself but the 4.4 danby supposedly can take 2 ball lock kegs but you do have to modify the door and get rid of the can holders

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

Return to “Recipes”