Beer Recipe ideas incorporating Wine Grapes

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
danntanner
Verified User
Verified User

Beer Recipe ideas incorporating Wine Grapes

Post by danntanner » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:15 pm

Hey there,
Thanks to the local wildlife I am short on my grape harvest for this year, so thinking of using them for brewing instead.

I have some Chardonnay that I'm thinking of using the must in a hefeweisen, probably during mashing. If it doesn't give me enough character I'll add some juice to the wort.
But, my real issue is what to do with the larger portion of Cabernet Franc grapes.
They're NS grapes, so lower brix levels than the wine kit stuff. Acids will be higher too. Lots of strawberry, rhubarb and cherry flavours.
So the beer will have to have a fair amount of mouthfeel and maltiness to balance out the acid and red fruit flavours. Stout is the first thing that comes to mind, but I'm not much of a stout drinker. Or I could go in the opposite direction and do a a sour or lambic.

Any thoughts?

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Re: Beer Recipe ideas incorporating Wine Grapes

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:43 pm

I just had a bottle of Dogfish Head's 61, which is a syrah/IPA blend. I had it in my fridge for a year before drinking it, so much of the hops had probably faded, but it was surprisingly delicious and ungimmicky. I didn't think it would work, but it did.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:03 pm

I'm not sure the fruit/acid would go well with the roast of a stout. Maybe a brown ale or an ESB. Dubbel would also be an option I think
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

danntanner
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danntanner » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:06 pm

KB1138 wrote:I'm not sure the fruit/acid would go well with the roast of a stout. Maybe a brown ale or an ESB. Dubbel would also be an option I think
Sorry, should have been more specific, was thinking milk stout so I can counter the acid with lactose.
But a dubbel could be interesting. Thanks

Return to “Recipes”