Weizen Wheat Help

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
whitnes10
Name: Stew Whitney

Weizen Wheat Help

Post by whitnes10 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Looking for some input on this recipe I just came up with. Thoughts??? New with Partial Mash, but have been making extract for years.

American Wheat
Partial Mash (5gal) ABV: 5.89%
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
IBU: 14.5 Colour: 7.5 SRM

Ingredients:
Mash:
0.80kg Maris Otter
0.70kg Wheat Malt
0.25kg Honey Malt
Boil 45mins:
15g Hallertauer (45mins)
10g East Kent Gouldings (45mins)
13g East Kent Gouldings (30mins)
2kg Wheat Extract (last 15 mins of boil)
Whirlfoc Tablet (15mins)
1pkg Weihenstephan Weizen yeast

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Re: Weizen Wheat Help

Post by KB1138 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:21 pm

I think you could probably condense your three hop additions down. Maybe 1 @60 to give you the IBU's you want and then 1 @20 for the flavour and aroma. Not sure why you've got two different hops going in at the same time either. Unless it's just what you have on hand. The yeast is going to be the big show here, so 3068 if you want a German weizen, and maybe WB-06 if you want American. Swapping the MO for Pilsner malt is maybe and idea as well, but at that small of an amount it's not likely to be too noticeable
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:42 pm

KB1138 wrote:I think you could probably condense your three hop additions down. Maybe 1 @60 to give you the IBU's you want and then 1 @20 for the flavour and aroma. Not sure why you've got two different hops going in at the same time either. Unless it's just what you have on hand. The yeast is going to be the big show here, so 3068 if you want a German weizen, and maybe WB-06 if you want American. Swapping the MO for Pilsner malt is maybe and idea as well, but at that small of an amount it's not likely to be too noticeable
Thanks for the input. There was really no reason for the different hops initially at the beginning of the boil. I used those hops in general because they the same that Rockbottom use in their Deadwood Wheat beer. But I could go up to the 60min boil to lessen the hops and will switch to WB-06

MO vs Pilsner? I could easily switch that out too, haven't bought the recipe yet, just wanted to hear input first.

For this mash, how much water would be recommended and should I be stirring the grains in the bag throughout the 60min mash? BeerSmith2 app is saying to add 4.56L of water to the mash with the 1.75kg of grain. Does that sound right? I selected Single Infusion, Medium Body, with Batch Sparge.

With the batch sparge all I did my last Partial Mash, was use sparge water to top up my MashTun to the required amount of water for boil. Correct?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get things right.
Last edited by whitnes10 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:12 am

Here's my updated recipe.
.8kg Wheat Malt
.25kg Honey Malt
1kg Pilsner 2row
23g EKG at 45mins
20g EKG at 20mins
2kg Wheat Dry Extract at 15mins
Whirlfloc tablet at 15mins
12g EKG at 0mins
Safabrew Wheat WB-06 Yeast

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User

Post by KB1138 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:14 am

The amount of water sounds right. I'd trust what BeerSmith tells you there. Stir as often as you feel like. I personally do every 15 minutes. Batch sparging is the method of draining out all the water in the mash tun, then pouring all the sparge water in at once. I'm not sure how that would work if you're doing a BIAB though.

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:00 am

Okay thank! The only thing I see now is that WB-06 is going to give the beer a clove flavour. Not really what I'm going for as I'm trying to mimic the "Deadwood" Wheat from Rockbottom. I found something that they may use us-05 for their yeast. So I may swap for that.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User

Post by KB1138 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm not familiar with Rockbottoms beer, so I couldn't say. WB-06 will give you some banana/clove flavour but it's not terribly strong. 3068 will give off a ton of it

Return to “Recipes”