Hard Cider Help

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
AlexMcConnachie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Alex McConnachie

Hard Cider Help

Post by AlexMcConnachie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:03 am

I have just ordered in about 25lt of cold pressed cider from Bulwark and am looking to make it into a tasty treat for my family and I over the holidays. Flavor profile we all like is a nice crisp apple flavor, pretty much the full body flavor of the apples. What yeast would you say is the best to get for this?

Also, any pointers on the overall process of this are fully welcome. This is the first time I have done a cider.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: Hard Cider Help

Post by Jimmy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:49 pm

I generally use a neutral ale yeast like US-05 when I've done cider. Will also want to look at the sugar content of the juice that you get, and maybe bump it up with some sugar.

If you want dryer, you can always use a champagne yeast.

Campden tablets can be used to reduce the likelihood of wild yeast taking over. Adding some yeast nutrient wouldn't be a bad idea either.

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:46 am

I use ale yeast like Jimmy suggests...you can add more apple flavor with frozen juice concentrate.
Adding a pound of lactose will add some body without much sweetness
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:31 am

US-04 has worked out great for me in the past with ciders
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:43 pm

I've used WLP775 English Cider yeast and she fermented out from 1.042 to 1.000. It's a dry cider so I'd consider back sweetening if you use it.

AlexMcConnachie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Alex McConnachie

Post by AlexMcConnachie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks guys! I have until the 23rd of November to sort this out. Do I need to pasteurize it by holding temp just below boiling for 10 min or will the Campden tabs handle that then add a yeast nutrient and yeast after 2 days to kick off fermentation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Recipes”