Grainfather Pilsner

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Grainfather Pilsner

Post by elreplica » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:09 am

Hey fellow Grainfather users...anyone cook up a killer sessionable Pilsner with their GF? I know there's lots on Connect cloud and such but wanting some trusty Brewnoser feedback...haven't used my Connect since I fvcked up a recipe last spring and thus a little gunshy lol...
Favourable styles: breadiness of a Steam Whistle/Grolsch or something along the lines of a Beck's/ Bitburger/Warsteiner/Radeburger/
Urquell...Bohemian or Bavarian styles...
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Re: Grainfather Pilsner

Post by Celiacbrew » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:39 am

Sure thing. I’m currently drinking one.
1.046 og. 100% pilsner. 65 mash temp. For the water I used 5ml 75% phosphoric and one teaspoon of CaCl2.

Ibu 30 I think I used loral for bittering because I had some on hand. At 20 min 1oz hallertauer, 0min 1oz Hallertauer. Once the groundwater gets colder and I can transfer at full speed I might do those as 30 min and 10mins.

For fermentation I used a big slurry of the Budweiser strain. But any lager yeast would work as long as it is an attenuative one. I use O2 for one minute. I ferment at 12c then when fermentation slows almost to a stop I bring it up to 16c for a couple days.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks Mike. Is this recipe on the Connect site? What was the bittering hop? And what style/ brand would you say it best matches? Time for me to clean my Lager fridge lol.

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 am

It’s not on connect. For a beer like that I don’t really use the software. I know I need about 10lbs of grain and then I adjust my pre-boil gravity to give me the right finishing gravity after boiling off 2 litres.

I’m pretty sure the bittering hop was loral but you could use anything and it won’t make a difference.

For the style, I don’t know. It has softer water than a German pils and it doesn’t use the spicy saaz hops of a bohemian pils. And it is too bitter for an American light lager. Maybe pre-production lager? But it doesn’t have a corn aroma or taste. I think really I would say it is brewed to my preference :) I don’t like the sulphur note I get from adding gypsum so I tend not to like German pils. I like saaz but if you make it hoppy I find saaz overpowering. I wish I could compare to a commercial beer but I can’t drink very many commercial beers.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:16 pm

Mike, have you tried Propeller Pilsener. I've had a hankering to try cooking up a facsimile to theirs...wondering best yeast and thinking either Saflager S189, 34/70 Dry...or a Wyeast/White Labs Bohemian Lager liquid and subbing in the Saaz... 27 IBU's if I recall and a blend of Canadian/ Euro malt...what say you...or anyone?

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:45 pm

I believe they list their ingredients on their re-branded boxes, that would give you a good starting point
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm

Hmmmm...I know Garrison is very open with their bills on their bottles and such...last few purchases of Prop have been kegs and bombers somill pay attention to their sixes next time in the NSLC...likely the yeast that's going to be the biggie...thanks LD...

Return to “Recipes”