OG question

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
Fishcoppop
Name: David Wamback

OG question

Post by Fishcoppop » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Hey Folks,

Quick question.... I have recently in the past year started all grain brewing and so far have done 3 different batches. But I seem to be having issues with my OG reading, using beersmith and Brew Log it predicts a higher OG than I am ending up with. At first I thought it was the temperature of the wort but the last batch I did was brought down to 20 degrees and it was still reading lower than I had anticipated.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I have been brewing IPA’s and the last one was a brown ale.

Thanks

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Re: OG question

Post by KB1138 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Your brewing software is overestimating your efficiency, and you're not getting the extract yield anticipated. If you plug your OG and volume into Beersmith it will tell you what efficiency you git, then use that number for your future brews. Make a point too of measuring your boil off rate, and make sure that's accurate in your Beersmith settings
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Return to “Recipes”