2017 Advent Exchange - December 20 - Czech Pilsner

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
SFR709
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Scott

2017 Advent Exchange - December 20 - Czech Pilsner

Post by SFR709 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:54 pm

This recipe was based on a BYO Urquell clone.

40L batch

Grain Bill:

Pilsner Malt 8.49kg
Vienna Malt 1.06kg
Cara-Pils 0.53kg
Munich 0.53kg

Mash profile:

15mins @ 140F
45mins @ 154F
10mins @ 168F

90min Boil

Hops:

65g Cluster @ 60mins
59g Saaz @ 15mins
51g Saaz @ 0mins

Target OG was 1.052
Actual OG was 1.050

Yeast:

Wyeast 2278 Czech Pilsner Lager

Fermentation Profile:

14 days @ 19.5degC
35 days @ 4degC
10 days at 0.5degC (added gelatin)

I apologize for not using an original recipe, but this was actually my 2nd time using beersmith and my 2nd time using my new set up, so there was bit of a learning curve. All other brews I’ve used the Grainfather and its app. I hope to use this recipe as a backbone for my own Czech Pilsner.

Also this was my first time ever using a beer gun, the carbonation from the Kegerator was high to suit the style but I think the bottles were slightly under-filled. If the carbonation is slightly off, my bad, I’ll definitely make up for it next time around. Thanks for all of the awesome beer so far, looking forward to the feedback!

Cheers,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Re: 2017 Advent Exchange - December 20 - Czech Pilsner

Post by CartoonCod » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:34 pm

Very nice beer. Quite a bit of floaties from some kind of sediment in the bottle. Good carbonation. Lots of nice Saaz hop character combined with great toasty, bready malt character. A bit too much sulfur character, but it is still nice. Did your initial fermentation happen at 19 degC for 14 days?

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Not a bad beer by no means but it misses the style a little bit. It has all the ingredients but there's something missing in the technique.

The bitterness is slightly harsh, I do like the grainy flavors and the slight sweetness from the pils.

If I made this I would honestly be at a loss on how to improve it. Perhaps a look into water treatment but our water here is pretty damn good for that type of beer.

I'm interested to hear others opinions on this because it's not a style I frequent. Mostly in service to others.

I finished the beer and enjoyed it! Thank you

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:33 pm

I liked this one. Good bready malt character with a firm bitterness and some resiny hop flavour in there. All balanced well. My bottle had quite a bit of head space so I was concerned it would have been oxidized, but that was not the case. Good carbonation, a bit of a chill haze that went away as it warmed up in the glass. Very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing!

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:16 pm

I was worried about this one, given the pretty significant underfill, but the carbonation level was super high, so that likely slowed any oxidation. Lots of floaties in my bottle as well, but I managed to keep most of them at bay.

I'm not a fan of Pilsner Urquell - at all - and since, in my mind, this tasted very, very close, I can't really give any useful feedback, other than "well, I thought it tasted a lot like PU."

Glen mentioned something maybe missing in your technique. It looks like you did a basic step mash, whereas I believe that PU actually uses a triple decoction. Did you really ferment at 19C? That seems awfully high.

Anyway, good job on the Urquell clone. Thanks for sharing!

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Enjoyed your beer thanks for sharing. Not a style I would brew so I'm glad I got to try it. Was surprised by the floaties in mine since you hit it with gelatin. Didn't take away from the beer for me though!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Chris S

Post by sheppard107 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:26 pm

I actually like Pilsner Urquell so I really enjoyed this one. Same floaties others have noted but that was no problem. Nice bready sweet Pilsner aroma with some sulfur. Thought it was a bit dark but taste d tasty. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

SFR709
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Scott

Post by SFR709 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:22 pm

Merry Christmas everyone, I’ve been a bit tied up with Christmas festivities so I’ve been slow to respond. I was sort of surprised by the floaties myself when I poured it up, the first batch and this batch from the keg didn’t seem to have any clarity issues at all, I’m not sure if maybe I didn’t give the gelatin enough time. I have noticed some chill haze as well but without whirlflock or Irish moss I’m not sure how to fix this. As for the fermentation temp I followed a brulosophy method I’m not sure if it was 19 degC though, I’ll have to dig out my notes and find out.

Thanks for all of the constructive criticism so far, as much as I’ve enjoyed all of the beers that is what I was looking forward to the most. I hope everyone had an awesome day!

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:58 am

Hey, I meant to mention this is one of my very favourite beer styles and I really enjoyed this. Very good job. I didn't detect sulphur either.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by jmacdonald » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Tasty brew. Enjoy this style and I felt it was pretty spot on.

Return to “Recipes”