Adding cranberries to a cider kit

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
mddionne

Adding cranberries to a cider kit

Post by mddionne » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:24 am

I am thinking of making a cranberry apple cider using an Everwood apple cider kit and frozen cranberries. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to do this? How many pounds of cranberries would be appropriate for 23L of cider? Do I need to rack onto them in secondary, or can I just add them to primary after fermentation is complete? Do I need to heat or pasturize the cranberries, and if so, do I need to worry about high pectin? I may also dry hop with some citra... Any tips or suggestions would be most welcome!

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Re: Adding cranberries to a cider kit

Post by mthibodeau » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:26 am

mddionne wrote:I am thinking of making a cranberry apple cider using an Everwood apple cider kit and frozen cranberries. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to do this? How many pounds of cranberries would be appropriate for 23L of cider? Do I need to rack onto them in secondary, or can I just add them to primary after fermentation is complete? Do I need to heat or pasturize the cranberries, and if so, do I need to worry about high pectin? I may also dry hop with some citra... Any tips or suggestions would be most welcome!
If the cranberries are frozen, and were individually quick frozen, you probably don't need to pasteurize them. I usually put fruit in my secondary and rack onto them, less splashing that way. As to weight, I'm not sure on that, haven't used cranberries specifically

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

mrlane55
Name: Tony Lane

Post by mrlane55 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 am

Cranberries would really make an apple cider interesting. I haven't tried one before.

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 am

I used 3kg of frozen cranberries in a lambic...i just waited until the bulk of the fermentation was complete...then just put directly in the carboy
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

Return to “Recipes”