Star anise help

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
kenny10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ken McCulloch

Star anise help

Post by kenny10 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:09 pm

I’m brewing a stout and going to ad star anise at 10 min left in the boil. I want to know if one pod is a good starting point or would I need more or less. Want it to complement the beer not be a liquorice disaster. Here is the recipe. Any input is appreciated .

Marris otter-2.99 kg (59.62%)
Munich- 0.91kg(18.2%)
C150-0.37kg(7.37%)
RB-.400kg(7.96%)
Victory-0.240kg(4.85%)
Chocolate-0.100kg(2%)

EKG @ 60 25 ibu
Wlp007
OG 1.052
FG 1.010

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: Star anise help

Post by LiverDance » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:50 am

Based on your grain weights i'm guessing you are doing a 5 or 6 gallon batch? If so one pod will be a nice compliment to the stout.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

kenny10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kenny10 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Thx LD

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:21 pm

I would suggest adding it with 30 mins left in the boil. Let us know how it turns out.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

kenny10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kenny10 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Finally got this bottled and ready to drink, I let it ferment for 5 weeks as life got in the way. I got a bump in efficiency and it finished a bit higher then expected. Overall, this turned out fantastic. Exactly what I was hoping for. Liquorice flavour is spot on for me. Liquorice with a hint of tabaco on the nose which is the initial tasting notes that lead into a a raisin undertone and coffee finish. Roast is extremely smooth, and could handle more if that’s your preference.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:55 am

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Recipes”