Killick Recipe

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
macisaac_4
Name: Nick

Killick Recipe

Post by macisaac_4 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Anyone have an all grain or even extract Killick Recipe. Looking to make a good summertime beer. Thanks in advance

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Re: Killick Recipe

Post by mumblecrunch » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:14 pm

macisaac_4 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 pm
Anyone have an all grain or even extract Killick Recipe. Looking to make a good summertime beer. Thanks in advance
The recipe was once told to me by the person who created it, but I don't remember all the details. I know that (at least in the beginning), they went out of their way to get BEST MALZ Heidelburg, an extra pale Pilsner-style malt with a little less protein. If I remember right, the grist was 39 bags of that and one bag of Vienna, so 97.5% Pilsner, 2.5% Vienna should get you close (95%/5% might be better at a homebrew scale). If I was told what the hops and the hopping regimen were I don't remember, but hops aren't exactly the focus of that beer. Hallertauer would be my guess, but any noble hop is probably going to be fine. I expect the boil would have been 90 minutes. And I'm almost positive that the yeast was the standard Pilsener lager (WLP 800). Mash-wise, it would probably be pretty standard for the style, but the brewer liked several rests and had the equipment to pull it off. I would guess at minimum there was a protein rest in the 120s, sacch at 150 or so, and then mash out.

That's going to be a tough beer to make nearly as good (or even as cheap) as the real deal. But power to you if you try!

There's lots of lawnmower beer recipes around that might be an easier go. Look up "Cream of 3 Crops" or "Fizzy Yellow Beer" or a New Glarus Spotted Cow clone (Northern Brewer sells it as a kit called "Speckled Heifer"). Any of those recipes with WLP080 (Cream Ale Blend) is going to fill the bill, I'd say.

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Post by Broob » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:41 am

I seem to remember they use Mandarina Bavaria in that one
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:50 am

Here is what the website says:

This German-style Munich Helles is a light blonde lager featuring 100% German Heidelberg Malt. Subtly hopped, this lager showcases delicate citrus nuances from both the Herkules and Huell Melon hop varietals. A sessionable, quality-crafted, everyday lager.

4.7% Alc./Vol.
16 IBU
3 SRM
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:10 am

LiverDance wrote:Here is what the website says:

This German-style Munich Helles is a light blonde lager featuring 100% German Heidelberg Malt. Subtly hopped, this lager showcases delicate citrus nuances from both the Herkules and Huell Melon hop varietals. A sessionable, quality-crafted, everyday lager.

4.7% Alc./Vol.
16 IBU
3 SRM
Well if you want to cheat and look at the website…

I’m positive about the one bag of Vienna. At least at the time (this time last year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:30 am

mumblecrunch wrote:
LiverDance wrote:Here is what the website says:

4.7% Alc./Vol.
16 IBU
3 SRM
Well if you want to cheat and look at the website…

I’m positive about the one bag of Vienna. At least at the time (this time last year).
And a further correction to my original post is that the yeast is probably Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager (thanks for the reminder LD!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Post by danlatimer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:33 am

I'm going to try a munich helles with my friend this week. Some inspiration from this thread some from the brewing classic styles book.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:56 pm

I put 3% Vienna in mine and it turned out nice
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:15 pm

Nice, we're going to do 92.5% Pilsner, 7.5% light munich malt

full details: https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe ... bd1166479f

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Thu May 17, 2018 12:37 am

Left: mine, Right: Killick

Compared our finished product to killick tonight. I like them both, mine could use a fining agent next time, I've never really cared much about clarity having my favourite style be hefeweizen but probably should aim to make beer to style. Looks like my colour is a bit different too. Mine is less bitter, and has more of a yeast flavour component compared to the maltyness of Killick.

I'd make another Munich Helles, it's a nice easy drinking beer.

Return to “Recipes”