Honey of a Beer

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
macdoncg
Name: Chris MacDonald

Honey of a Beer

Post by macdoncg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:57 pm

I'm new to brewing and I just kegged my first attempt at a Honey Nut Brown Ale...I sampled a small amount that didn't make it into the keg and it was tasty.

I used real honey but added it at end of boil not to the carboy. Next time I will add to carboy when the yeast is happy...I'm thinking that I wont pasteurize the honey in order to get lots of flavor...do you think its a good idea?

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Re: Honey of a Beer

Post by Broob » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:55 am

It depends on how much honey you're using. I've made a few braggots with 8-10 pounds of honey. You can add some at flame out and then you can keep feeding it over the first few days so the yeast doesn't get overwhelmed. Wouldn't hurt to add yeast nutrient over the first few days.

For small amounts of honey, a pound or two at flameout or when you get it cooled a bit is fine. I may be wrong but that's how I do it.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

macdoncg
Name: Chris MacDonald

Post by macdoncg » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:32 am

Cool..I brewed a 5 gallon batch and put 1 lb of honey in at flame out. Read online that if you put it in during high activity fermentation that you get a stronger honey taste so i will try that next time.

Do you pasteurize the honey before putting it in carboy or is it safe to put in the unpasteurized honey?

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Post by Broob » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:30 pm

I have never pasteurized and have been good so far.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

Return to “Recipes”