"Dry Hopping" Fruit

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
Brewhaha!
Name: Kyle Connolly

"Dry Hopping" Fruit

Post by Brewhaha! » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:50 am

Hey guys,

What precautionary measures do you need to take when "dryhopping" fruit? Like, say you place your frozen already pastorized fruit into a cloth bag, how do you sterilize the bag? Or is it better to just throw the fruit into the secondary ?

Also, as a side question can you add lactose to a secondary? I mean, obviously you would dissolve it under heat before adding it to avoid clumps but should I expect any other issues?

Thanks!

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Re: "Dry Hopping" Fruit

Post by mckay75 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:27 am

When adding fruit to secondary I've typically just added the frozen fruit to the fermenter...let it thaw and then racked onto it. Haven't had any issues so far. To answer you question about sterilizing the dry hop bag...I boil mine for about 10-15 min...then toss it in my star san bucket before adding to the fermenter.

I haven't added lactose to secondary before...but have read and heard of others doing it...following what you exactly posted...add to boiling water and stirring to remove clumps and sterilize briefly.

Return to “Recipes”