Decembeer 2 - Saison du Parc

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:52 pm

We had put together a really nice saison with the SafAle BE-134 we got from the Boxing Rock Black Box challenge competition earlier this year, and we decided to try to make (almost) the same recipe using the Belle Saison yeast, which we hadn't tried. The only real big change between the two was in the hop selection... we had used Cluster and Tettnager in the original. The end result was of course completely different. Was surprised to see the super low FG. The differences in yeast strains still blow me away (and I mean, literally - had to use a blow off tube for this one).

System: Grainfather

4744 g pilsner malt
354 g wheat malt
333 g Vienna
256 g Caramunich Type II
184 g Briess Aromatic

19.35 l mash water
12 l sparge water

Mash at 152 degrees for 60 minutes
Mash out at 167 for 10 minutes

60 min boil with:

1 oz EKG @ 60 mins
20 g Centennial @ 5 mins

1 pack of Lallemand Belle Saison Yeast

ferm temp about 21-22 Celcius

1.051 OG
approx. 1.000 FG

approx. ABV 6.6%

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Re: Decembeer 2 - Saison du Parc

Post by wcturnedec » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:26 am

Sounds great! That Belle Saison is a beast!
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:08 pm

I like a good saison. :)

All sorts of interesting stuff going on here. Very dry, of course. Peppery and a bit hot at first. I get a pretty strong and pleasant grainy malt presence after a few seconds. There was a an interesting fruity aroma at first that I've noticed in any of the CaraMunich beers I've made. It was gone midway.

Great beer that didn't last long at all. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:03 pm

Really nice beer. Defiantly dry mouth feel, lots of peppery flavours. I get some heat as well. On the nose I get an almost fruity aroma. Get a bit of the malt flavour as I swallow. These first two days didn’t disappoint and I am getting nervous for my own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:00 pm

Another nice one. Carbonation is a bit on the low side. My sample was a tad cloudy, but I didn't leave much in the bottle. Getting a nice fruitiness in the nose. The hops take a back seat and blend in with the fermentation character which had some peppery flavours. It has got a nice malt backbone, really nice. The bitterness could be upped just a tad, but that is nitpicking. The beer is really dry, but has a really well defined body. This beer is really hitting the spot tonight (it didn't last long) and I'd buy a 6-pack of it if I could. Thanks!

ErictheGreat
Award Winner 12
Award Winner 12
Name: Eric

Post by ErictheGreat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:55 pm

I like everything about this beer. Well done.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Pretty amazing grainy sweetness coming through there. I would have guessed slightly underattenuated, but with an FG of 1.000 clearly it wasn't. Does anyone know if that's a characteristic of the Belle Saison yeast? Otherwise some nice yeasty things going on there in terms of peppery phenols. I suspect the fruity/citrus note is yeast related rather than hops, but whatever it is, it works nice. I agree with Adam that the carb is a little low and that it could support a little more bitterness, but it's pretty tasty the way it is.

Another nice beer; thanks for sharing!

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:00 pm

mumblecrunch wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:59 pm
Pretty amazing grainy sweetness coming through there. I would have guessed slightly underattenuated, but with an FG of 1.000 clearly it wasn't. Does anyone know if that's a characteristic of the Belle Saison yeast? Otherwise some nice yeasty things going on there in terms of peppery phenols. I suspect the fruity/citrus note is yeast related rather than hops, but whatever it is, it works nice. I agree with Adam that the carb is a little low and that it could support a little more bitterness, but it's pretty tasty the way it is.

Aaron, initally I had the same thoughts as you regarding the attenuation, but then I saw the F.G and had to think about it some more. I figure it was the body coming through as perceived sweetness. After looking over the recipe and noting that there aren't too much caramel type malts I figure that the yeast has something to do with it. If it is, that yeast is pretty interesting.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Had this yesterday as I forgot to put #1 in the fridge. It hit the spot. Mor great at describing flavors especially in a beer like this but it was nice. Thanks

Sent from my smartphone

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Enjoyed this. Fruity welcomed saison yeast ester aroma and initial flavor. I got a bit of sweetness in spite of the low finish. Low, but easy rousable white head.

Cheers, thanks.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 am

Nice beer, could have used a bit more carb maybe some more bitterness to balance the perceived sweetness from the malt. Honestly those two things would knock that beer out of the park for me.

Otherwise there seems to be a bit too much malt complexity or something going on. I wonder if a different water profile could have given it a little more life too? Not that it has no life. There’s great flavor.

After getting a little deeper into the glass I’m wondering if it’s a combo of that yeast strain and the malt that gives it the perceived sweetness.

I use aromatic in my Saisons as well. It too has a level of sweetness that I sometimes get sick of regardless of the attenuation. I mash at 148 for 75 mins with no mash out before lautering. Perhaps with the Vienna and caramunich in yours it’s definitely pushing that envelope a bit. For me anyway.

Thanks for the beer!

sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Chris S

Post by sheppard107 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:59 am

A very nice saison. Definitely get the sweetness too, but it didn't detract from the beer for me.
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Was very excited to see a saison on the list - as well as the others, I found it almost sweet despite the FG. Had a great fruityness to it, and oddly enough I found mine to be overcarbed, I stirred it with a spoon to get it to where I liked it though, NBD. Great job!

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:07 pm

Very nice saison for the fall. The malt backbone holds up well against the 1.000 FG. Thanks for the share
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Brewnoser
Award Winner 17
Award Winner 17

Post by Brewnoser » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:27 am

mumblecrunch wrote:Pretty amazing grainy sweetness coming through there. I would have guessed slightly underattenuated, but with an FG of 1.000 clearly it wasn't. Does anyone know if that's a characteristic of the Belle Saison yeast? Otherwise some nice yeasty things going on there in terms of peppery phenols. I suspect the fruity/citrus note is yeast related rather than hops, but whatever it is, it works nice. I agree with Adam that the carb is a little low and that it could support a little more bitterness, but it's pretty tasty the way it is.

Something not right there. We judged without benefit of the recipe. Underattenuated. Too sweet for style. Not a saison. More a Belgian strong. Nice beer though. Have judge sheets for the producer if they email me.

----
"Work is the curse of the drinking class." - Oscar Wilde

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:11 pm

:cheers: Thanks everyone for the awesome, detailed feedback... very helpful and appreciated. :cheers:

I haven't had any of your beers yet, but I will reciprocate :)

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by jmacdonald » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Not usually a fan, but this went down way too well!

Thanks.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:28 pm

I agree that it’s not really a saison, but it drinks well just the same, more like a Belgian amber strong ale?

Ruby
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ruby

Post by Ruby » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Sorry for the late feedback. I enjoyed this delightfully peppery and fruity saison. a nice warming but refreshing and flavourful beer.

Thank you!
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Post by ackes » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:22 pm

I don’t drink too many Belgian beers, so lack insight here.
Based on taste would’ve thought there was some candi syrup in there because of the sweetness. Mine was carbed perfectly.
Thanks for sharing.

Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

Return to “Recipes”