2018 Advent - December 16 - Maritime Gose

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

2018 Advent - December 16 - Maritime Gose

Post by John G » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:29 pm

I made a batch of this earlier in the summer using PC Sicilian sea salt and it turned out well. The uncarbed beer tasted like it had electrolytes - like a sports drink but drier. When carbonated this becomes more subtle. The acid addition is light, and with the current batch it's not very noticeable. I may bump it up a few % points when I brew it again. I wanted to use natural seawater to see if it was any different than the dried sea salt batch. The difference is there, but it's subtle. I hope all who can grab a bottle enjoy it! :cheers2:

Maritime Gose
All Grain
Batch Size: 42 L
OG 1.040 FG: 1.010
3.9% ABV

3.79 kg Wheat Malt (46.5%)
2.46 kg German Pilsner 2-row (30.2%)
1.5 kg Acidulated malt (18.6%)
380 g Rice Hulls (4.7%)
29 g Saaz (3.75%) - 60 min
60 g Coriander Seeds (toasted and ground) - boil 10 mins
1.7 L filtered Atlantic ocean seawater - boil 10 mins
2 pkgs US-05

Mash 1 hr at 65C without acidulated malt.
Add acidulated malt to the mash after 1h and continue mash for 40min longer
Total boil time 90 min

Ferment at 18C
Kegged and carbed to 2.3 vols

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Re: 2018 Advent - December 16 - Maritime Gose

Post by John G » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:22 am

For those of you who have made arrangements to get this beer from me, one note prior to opening. For some reason the wheat protein haze in the bottle has dropped out, even when chilled. It should have moderate to high haze, so you can gently invert the bottle and swirl it slightly to re-suspend the haze prior to pouring or just pour it all out into your glass and it will mix in that way. It's not bottle conditioned, I bottled it from the keg.

For those that do not have their Dec 16th beer yet, PM me and hopefully I can get it to you eventually.

John

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Having this now and am really enjoying it -- you were right that this would be great on a nice summer day, it's so refreshing! Thanks so much for letting us swing by this morning!

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Hey John, I had this beer last night while some friends were over so I didn't get down to sit and think about it. I was trying to be social. But I do remember that the beer was delicious. I found the quantity of salt was spot on, it wasn't overdone like some gose's I've tried. I'm glad you posted the amount of water you used, I haven't made a gose yet, but when I do I wanted to use sea water so I'll use your ratio. Thanks!

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by John G » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:49 am

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. It's a simple beer, so not much thought necessary. When I'm home later this week I'll send out my comments on it as I've not tasted it since it was bottled. Anyone in the exchange that has not received one - I will try to get them out to you eventually. I'm sure I'll get to most of you at some point.

Brewnoser
Award Winner 17
Award Winner 17

Post by Brewnoser » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:54 pm

An excellent brew. Very much to BJCP style - it is almost a bit too subdued and mellow. This style is normally possessing some zip and aggression.

Almost too polished. ;-)

Commercial quality beer. For me I’d like some of the knobs turned up a bit. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
----
"Work is the curse of the drinking class." - Oscar Wilde

Return to “Recipes”