2018 Advent - December 24 Enkel Biter

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

2018 Advent - December 24 Enkel Biter

Post by LiverDance » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:57 am

BJCP Style 26A Trappist Single (Patersbier/Enkel)
HRM Water treated to suit
100% Pilsner Malt
25.9 IBUs of FWH Saaz
4.7 IBUs of 10min Saaz
Pin Cherry 1 Yeast used by Propeller, gifted to Kyle (unused), Gifted to Cam (used to brew a dubbel, gifted to me for this beer :spilly:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Re: 2018 Advent - December 24 Enkel Biter

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:16 am

Nice name :)

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:48 pm

Not a beer you can get often. Really enjoying it as a starter to the lineup of other Belgians tonight.

I’m not a huge fan of the pin cherry yeasts. At least I haven’t gotten them to work well and the issues have been apparent I’m friends beers that I’ve tried. However this beer is really well made and I’m not getting much of that.

There’s a nice aroma and I mostly like the phenolics from it but there’s an almost medicinal/bandaid flavor that doesn’t gel well with the subtle sweetness of the pils malt. The hops really save the day. There’s nothing to hide from in these beers, I’d love to taste some standard Belgian yeasts in this.

Carbonation was on point, nice lace on the glass. Flavor has congruency as it warms which is a huge plus on a beer like this; nothing’s hidden by the temperature.

Interested to hear what others think as it seems I’m more critical of this yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:51 pm

Do you mind sharing your water treatment process?

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:10 pm

Really nice yeast character upfront. Some banana and citrus notes, and spicy clove-almost cinnamon-phenolics. Little bit of a medicinal character but not much. Solid malt flavour and enough bitterness to keep it crisp. Good beer
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:20 pm

I'm enjoying the cotton candy aromas and the lower %abv that still has Belgian character. Nice! Love the name as well. Thanks for sharing. :cheers2:

I'm going to try this one as a small beer to grow up some yeast to use in a tripel.

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:07 pm

I haven't been a fan of the pin cherry yeast, but this beer was delightful. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:04 am

I have never had this style but this was very good despite my hate for the pin cherry yeast. Unfortunately I could taste it a bit but thanks to it being an excellent beer, that didn’t matter. Keep em coming!

Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:31 pm

I was not as focused on this as I would have liked to have been, but I did enjoy it. Nice big yeast character balanced with a solid malt character. Banana and some fruitiness from the yeast. Solid bitterness. A well-made beer; I'd like to taste it with a more traditional yeast.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 pm

Shared this with a few friends at a quick weeknight tasting. Interesting stuff... always amazed at how yeast transforms a beer so completely, and the pin cherry yeast definitely did so here. This reminded us of a wheat beer. Thanks for the share!Image

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Return to “Recipes”