Dec 29 Docs Foot Dubbel

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Dec 29 Docs Foot Dubbel

Post by Tim Gregory » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Doc's Foot Dubbel - Belgian Dubbel 26B
OG 1.070
FG 1.010
ABV 7.9

I copied this recipe from 2011 when I was mostly doing half batches. It was originally just used the pilsner malt and carapils and the candi sugar, and dummy me forgot to scale up when I picked up the grains from Everwood lol. So I had to top up with what I had on hand ie the pale malt and CM120. Should still work for a dubbel. The hops were a blend I picked up some samples of at the Canadian Brewing Awards. I can't find much on them but I believe they were based on noble varieties. This is the beer that won an award at Toronto Beer Week and I brewed at Beau's, back when I knew what I was doing lol.

4.00 kg Pilsner
2.50 kg Pale Malt
0.35 kg Caramunich 120
0.32 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine

Mashed at 66.5 C 75 min

0.45 kg D2 Dark Candi Sugar 5 gallons (80.0 SRM) Sugar 5 5.9 % Last5 minutes of boil
1.10 oz tri-2303 [4.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.10 oz tri-2303 [4.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min 7

Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) at 19C

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: Dec 29 Docs Foot Dubbel

Post by LiverDance » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Looking forward to this. Just picked up some escarpment St Remy yeast to try in a dubbel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:45 pm

Also very much looking to try this, just curious, where did you find that yeast? I called everywhere for it earlier this month and nobody had it (everwood might have it at some point, although I had asked them if they had two specific types of yeast, and all they said was "try again later, we have some yeast coming soon" ). Noble did say they could probably get any white labs yeast as long as I requested it 3 weeks in advance which is nice to know, but unfortunately I tend to plan brews out a few days in advance at most.

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Post by Tim Gregory » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Prettysure I got it at Everwood.

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:48 pm

I had a Westmalle a few months ago that was probably the freshest Belgian I’ve ever purchased (not counting any prostitutes) It tasted very close to this.

Need say no more

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:21 pm

Nice banana-y yeast character on the nose. Very well controlled bitterness that’s enough to keep the sweetness from being cloying but not so much that it becomes distracting. Slightly bready malt character with some dark fruit and maybe even a little liquorice going on. I very much enjoyed this one.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:54 pm

Very tasty. Not a style I usually like but I'm into this one. I tend to find them too sweet but the balance you have is my preference. Smells nice, and a welcome little heat from the alcohol.

I would like to brew a pale beer with this yeast.

Sent from my smartphone

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:05 pm

This is one of the best so far, great job! I was in Belgium a couple of months ago and this definitely compares in terms of quality. I might end up taking a stab at this recipe sometime this year, would love to have bottles of this hanging around. Thanks for sharing!!

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:10 pm

tasty full bodied beer. great job Tim!
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Lots of raisin and burnt sugar, awesome!

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:17 pm

This was rather tasty - drank it on the weekend while brewing our first tripel. Thanks for sharing it!Image

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:38 am

Had this yesterday. It was absolutely delightful.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Return to “Recipes”