Decembeer 2019 day 30 Oaked Belgian strong dark ale

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Decembeer 2019 day 30 Oaked Belgian strong dark ale

Post by Tim Gregory » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:14 am

I'm out of town until late in the day on the 30th so won't have the recipe up before most of you drink it. Sorry.

It's the same beer I did 2 years ago, except I soaked some toasted oak chips in whiskey (just crown Royal) and aged the beer on that for a few weeks. I was going for subtle so it wasn't a ton of oak or whiskey. My efficiency was really bad that day so it's not as big as last time but that's maybe not a terrible thing lol.

I'll post the full recipe when I'm back.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Re: Decembeer 2019 day 30 Oaked Belgian strong dark ale

Post by mumblecrunch » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:16 pm

Quite a tasty beer, with plenty of malt and yeast characters. Boozy, but not too much. And after reading the description I can taste the whisky and oak slightly, but I’m not sure I would have been able to name them beforehand, so they’re fairly subtle. A really nice beer for the afternoon of a cold day in front of the fire.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:59 pm

Nice malty and fruity. Getting a notes of molasses and vanilla. I'm getting some notes of whiskey in there but if I didn't know there were whiskey chips in there I wouldn't have been able to put my finger on it. I think it is a bit sweet for the style, but I'm loving it. It's the perfect brew for new years eve beer to help me deal with the kids that are stuck inside the apartment because it is a soggy mess outside.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:02 pm

Drank this tonight with supper. Pairs very nicely with a chicken tikka masala on jasmine rice.

This is one of the best brews I have had with oak in it - it's just the perfect amount... it feels like it is part of the beer itself, and really well-balanced with the other ingredients. I'm a big fan of this (big) style, and will definitely look forward to seeing the recipe!

Thanks for the share, and happy 2020!Image

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:01 pm

Absolutely fantastic beer. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by jmacdonald » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:26 pm

Had this last night. Great beer. Was getting molasses and whiskey in the finish. Not usually a fan of this style, I think the whiskey may have warmed me up to it! Thanks!

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Been sitting on this one for a year. Tasting great nice plum fig type flavour with a nice hint of oak. Thanks Tim, hope you had a great holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Return to “Recipes”