The Barrel Project Recipe

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

The Barrel Project Recipe

Post by mr x » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:53 am

We had best get on top of this ASAP. First of all, not everyone will be able to get in on the first run. Secondly, this isn't a good project for people who have never brewed a really big beer, or who have had a history of bad sanitation. The last thing we need is to have 50 gallons of great beer ruined by 5 gallons of phenolic/infected/under-attenuated compost sluice. Extract should be kept to a minimum, say 20% of the grain bill. Yeast should be something that attenuates well, and no diacetyl. Keep in mind that there are definite logistic issues, ie - we need 55 gallons of good beer to fill the barrel in one day.

RIS, Barleywine, Imperial Porter I think are the kinds of recipes we are looking for. Those are my thoughts off the top of my head. Recipes to follow.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: The Barrel Project Recipe

Post by GAM » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 am

RIS, Barleywine, Imperial Porter I think are the kinds of recipes we are looking for. Those are my thoughts off the top of my head. Recipes
to follow.[/quote]

Any of those would be fine.

I could see "donating" some bottles of the product to those who don't, or can't brew it.

Sandy

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:24 am

I'm with you, x, nervous about one batch ruining the whole thing. It's certainly a hazard of this project, but there are ways to reduce that possibility.
Like we've mentioned, the Feruz crew is happy to brew up 60 or 120L in one go, in the spirit of keeping things consistent. We do NOT want that much of the finished product!
I'm probably speaking out of turn, but for those who want to take part, it could definitely be a group brew day, with all hands on deck.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:26 am

chalmers wrote:I'm with you, x, nervous about one batch ruining the whole thing. It's certainly a hazard of this project, but there are ways to reduce that possibility.
Like we've mentioned, the Feruz crew is happy to brew up 60 or 120L in one go, in the spirit of keeping things consistent. We do NOT want that much of the finished product!
I'm probably speaking out of turn, but for those who want to take part, it could definitely be a group brew day, with all hands on deck.
That couls be fun and an excuse to get together.

Sandy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:34 am

And that certainly may be the way to go. Others who want in can come out for a group brew, and split on the ingredients. I will most likely brew mine at home, put 5 gallons in the barrel, and keep 5 gallons in a keg for topping up. Also, the barrel cost was $100, so that will have to be paid out between the consumers. I am planning to keg/carb and bottle mine (corks/cages).
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Post by Tim Gregory » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:42 pm

I definitely want in for 5g, but with my move coming up I'm at least 3 weeks away from being able to brew, so I could contribute some ingredients to a group brew with the feruz gang (even though I might not be able to make the brewday).

I made a barleywine last year that was aged on oak chips that had soaked in glen breton whiskey that was eally good. It won a gold medal. I'd be happy to contribute the recipe if you guys want toi go that way.

maltster
Verified User
Verified User

Post by maltster » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:03 pm

chalmers wrote:I'm with you, x, nervous about one batch ruining the whole thing. It's certainly a hazard of this project, but there are ways to reduce that possibility.
I'd like to get in on this and a group brew day sounds like a great idea with participants contributing ingredients, equipment or other costs. I'm partial to RIS but open to anything.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:30 am

I didnt realize everyone had to combine at the same time. im out for this first batch, cant do that sort of brew scheduling from a different province
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:53 am

Well, it can be kegged ahead of time (but with the carb just enough to keep O2 purged and lid sealed), but the barrel has to be filled in one shot.

GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Name: David Gillett

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:52 am

my 2c? Imperial Porter.

I'd be in for a group brew day, depending of course, on the day.

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Post by bluenose » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 am

If possible, I'd like to help brew and/or kick in some ingredients
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:53 am

I can contribute as well. I am particular about sanitation, never had a bad batch. A group brew sounds fun but my system is not portable. If we did that route I'd show up with ingredients but may or may not be able to join that day depending on my schedule. No biggie, and if there's too many people I can wait.

-Rob
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:12 am

OK, here's a couple RIS recipes from BCS to start ponder.

MO 77.4
Roasted Barley 8.5
Special B 5.6
CaraMunich 2.8
Chocolate - 2.8
Pale Chocolate - 2.8

77 IBU
OG 1.098
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MO 57.8
Wheat 10.8
Roasted Barley 13.4
Chocolate 13.4
C120 4.6

100 ibu
1.100 OG
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This beer turned out quite well, and something along these lines might work.

http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=2039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:05 pm

My vote is do a group brew day at Feruz. I just think individual brews all being combined at the same time is a recipe for disaster. Eliminates complicated coordinating, risk of a bad batch ruining the whole thing - or hard feelings from someone being excluded. I think it's also an easier way to collectively split the cost of the whole en-devour and the end product will just plain be better. If it does go this route, I could contribute the kegs to carb/bottle from. I'm guessing there won't be enough given the amount of interest for each person to walk away with a full keg given the amount of interest.

As far as recipe, my vote is for a RIS. It would be awesome to do something sour but perhaps too much risk involved.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents!
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:27 pm

The problem is, they are all going to have to be transported in 5 gal vessels (maybe 10 if somebody has 10 gallon keg, but that has it`s own issues). Keep in mind we will need temp control for 55 gallons as well, and there`s a host of issues with doing everything at Feruz. I think this requires a combination of group brew with individual brewing. This is going to have to be done on a keg basis, so not everyone can get in on the first run, but we are thinking maybe a second run.

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:20 pm

Would you want a giant yeast starter to split and pitch into 11 5-gallon carboys? Ideal case would be to be able to brew, pitch, ferment and eventually transfer to barrel at the same location for consistency but housing 11 carboys could definitely be a challenge.

I'd like to at least help out and admittingly my big beer experience is minimal so I see a great chance to learn. :spilly:
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by JohnnyMac » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Ok, lots of logistics to work through here, my votes are;
1) I'd favor a RIS over other styles. I like the BCS recipes because they are pretty straight forward and use pretty common ingredients. I've brewed the first recipe X posted before and it adapts well.
2) I like the idea of part of the brew session done by/with the Feruz Crew but based on logistics (volumes, portability, schedules) I know some of us will have to brew at home.
3) We'll work through the list of participants shortly based on first come first serve. No doubt there will be a few folks left out on this run. The idea a few of us have discussed is to do another collaboration after this one, specifically a sour/wild/funky something or something.
4) So, next steps (in my little brain);
- Style and recipe - Are we all in on the RIS?
- Participant Listing - X, BBB and I will go back through things over the next few days and will mail down the victim list.
- Brew Timing - Once everything else is layed out, we're going to have to push a timeline out on when this is all gonna go down.

Lemme know what you think........
"It's not about the beer. It's about the beer." - Don Younger

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Sounds fine to me. I know Nick may be real busy with a new project, so if he doesn't have time, maybe we'll comp him a corny for storage, and work out the details later. I'll get in touch with him this week if I get a chance.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Has there been any sort of a total head count of those interested in participating? Another thought I just had is if a mass brew is not feasible (which it sounds like it may not be), what about several smaller group brews? That of course entirely depends on how many people are interested - if it's a crazy number it would never work. That way everyone could (hopefully) be included - however of course if the majority of the group is available during a certain time frame and someone simply can't fit their schedule in, too bad I suppose. Anyhow, just a thought.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:43 am

- Style and recipe - Are we all in on the RIS?
- Participant Listing - X, BBB and I will go back through things over the next few days and will mail down the victim list.
- Brew Timing - Once everything else is layed out, we're going to have to push a timeline out on when this is all gonna go down.

RIS is great.

Timeline may be an issue. For me next weekend or mid July.

Sandy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:21 am

These beers are going to have to be in fermenters and completed soon. I'd like to see them in the barrel by the first week in July at the latest. The longer this goes on, the riskier it is for the barrel drying out and leaking. I've changed my brewing schedule to get this brewed and ready to transfer for that timeframe.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:07 pm

mr x wrote:These beers are going to have to be in fermenters and completed soon. I'd like to see them in the barrel by the first week in July at the latest. The longer this goes on, the riskier it is for the barrel drying out and leaking. I've changed my brewing schedule to get this brewed and ready to transfer for that timeframe.
If there's a big hurry on this then you need to figure out who's in on it. By my count there are way more volunteers than the 9 slots (180/20 = 9) would allow.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:20 pm

First come first serve for those people from the other thread. That's the only fair way.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Make a list, and see who can take part in the first run.

Sandy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm really in a bind to deal with this before the weekend, so the groupers will have to start at the first of that thread and see where they fit. Remember, we plan to do this again to give everyone a chance.

Return to “Recipes”