The Barrel Project Recipe

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: The Barrel Project Recipe

Post by GAM » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Best I can do is next weekend.

Pass my spot to the next on the list and I'll do round 2.

Sandy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:10 pm

I can't brew until next weekend either. It was just a figure of speech. Get something brewed and fermented, as we're shooting for early July to fill the barrel. A little lead time would be nice on the brews so you can have a taste. Ideally, the beers would be ready and tasted two weeks before they were ready to go in the barrel.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by JohnnyMac » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Holy fucking tweakarama....

Here's what I'm gonna go with;

Brewnoser Barrel 98 Russian Imperial Stout

15 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.9 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Roasted Barley (609.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.9 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt 120 (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.6 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.6 %
8.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt (218.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.6 %
2.25 oz Magnum [13.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 77.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 12.6 IBUs
2.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 9 2.7 IBUs
3.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -

Mash 152
60min boil

I've substituted the Special B with CM120 because that's what I have, subbed C60 for CM60 because that's what I have, subbed Magnum for Horizon because that's the closest sub I have.

Gonna brew it at some point this weekend.
"It's not about the beer. It's about the beer." - Don Younger

JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by JohnnyMac » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Oh yeah, unless Kyle says he's in between now and the next 7 hours, looks like LD is the next at bat. Tried to PM Kyle yesterday over this but his account doesn't accept PMs?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Kyle is away to NB.

I'll e-mail him.

Sandy

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:51 pm

JohnnyMac wrote:Oh yeah, unless Kyle says he's in between now and the next 7 hours, looks like LD is the next at bat. Tried to PM Kyle yesterday over this but his account doesn't accept PMs?
Won't be me, I'm purposly holding back so there isn't too much Barrell aged RIS on feruz. I'm hoping the next run would be a barleywine. Hogie would be next in line.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

hogie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Hogie

Post by hogie » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:13 pm

LiverDance wrote:
JohnnyMac wrote:Oh yeah, unless Kyle says he's in between now and the next 7 hours, looks like LD is the next at bat. Tried to PM Kyle yesterday over this but his account doesn't accept PMs?
Won't be me, I'm purposly holding back so there isn't too much Barrell aged RIS on feruz. I'm hoping the next run would be a barleywine. Hogie would be next in line.
I'm in, if he's out. :headbang:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Yeah, Kyle deactivated PM's on his account...

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:21 pm

Yarg, this is getting to be frustrating. I thought we were aiming for a consistent recipe, with the beers finishing at the same time. I believe Delta Force was going to brew today, can you let us know which recipe you used? Looks like TimGr and I will brew Sunday, hopefully with the group recipe. I second the vote that Kyle is out, if he has not responded by now.
Will some folks be brewing a bit extra, in case one of the 9 batches does not deliver as intended?

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:28 pm

So far following the BCS recipe fairly close - subbed Caramunich 120 for Special B, will be using Horizon/Magnum for bittering. I can tell you the final numbers in a few hours! Currently heating the water for the second mash. :cheers2:
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Well, the recipe is as consistent as sensible. Special B is hard to come by, and CaraM 120 is what we have been subbing with. Caramunich 60 I think can be had at NG, but a c60 is going to be pretty close. And pale choc can be subbed with kiln coffee.

It is not necessary for the beers to finish at the same time. It's RIS. It can sit around for a year before we throw it in the barrel. The idea is to get it brewed now, so it's ready and can be assessed for quality with as much lead time as possible. For obvious reasons. If we let the barrel sit too long empty, it will leak. So those involved, get the beer brewed and into a vessel you can move.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:01 pm

mr x wrote:Well, the recipe is as consistent as sensible. Special B is hard to come by, and CaraM 120 is what we have been subbing with. Caramunich 60 I think can be had at NG, but a c60 is going to be pretty close. And pale choc can be subbed with kiln coffee.

It is not necessary for the beers to finish at the same time. It's RIS. It can sit around for a year before we throw it in the barrel. The idea is to get it brewed now, so it's ready and can be assessed for quality with as much lead time as possible. For obvious reasons. If we let the barrel sit too long empty, it will leak. So those involved, get the beer brewed and into a vessel you can move.
I'm assuming it will be carbonated after it comes back out of the barrel?

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:03 pm

No it will not be carbonated.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Perhaps I was not clear - I meant we're putting it in the barrel uncarbonated? I realize it's a stupid question but better clarify then someone bring a corny of carbonated beer to dump in.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Yeah, uncarbed. But if you are transporting by keg, you might need to put a bit of pressure in it to keep it sealed. A little carb isn't a problem, and really, carbed beer will just go flat anyway. But don't do the keg and shake thing.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Yeah purging the keg is a must.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:27 pm

hogie wrote:
LiverDance wrote:
I'm in, if he's out. :headbang:
Brew it up Hogie, your in!
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by JohnnyMac » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:05 am

chalmers wrote:Yarg, this is getting to be frustrating. I thought we were aiming for a consistent recipe, with the beers finishing at the same time. I believe Delta Force was going to brew today, can you let us know which recipe you used? Looks like TimGr and I will brew Sunday, hopefully with the group recipe. I second the vote that Kyle is out, if he has not responded by now.
Will some folks be brewing a bit extra, in case one of the 9 batches does not deliver as intended?
Your frustration is likely my fault by fucking with the BCS version of the Czar recipe, so my apologies. On Sunday, I'll be brewing the recipe in my last post as it's the closest I can come to the original with what I have in inventory.

We will all need to post our brew notes/results in order to combine our final stats into the end result. With any luck, we'll be planning to get together in about 4-5 weeks to fill her up.

Kyle- nice hustle but you're cut. Hogie - you're in.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:30 am

Some of this is my fault. I've been tied up at work and have been trying to keep things moving with bits and pieces on info from my phone.

hogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hogie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:05 am

How does this look gents?

http://hopville.com/recipe/1448061/russ ... len-rizzle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by hogie on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:21 am

If you can't find the pale choc, just bump the regular choc up to 9% and drop the BP.

Also, for everyone, don't hesitate to use around five % cane sugar in place of malt to to get the OG up. And I have no problem using extract up to 20%. Big beers can be hard on homebrewing efficiency, so you may need to adjust your normal brewing practices.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:30 pm

We shot for 55% efficiency but got 51%... Normally we're in the mid 70s. oof! So we used a bit of DME to make up the gravity. I can post more when I'm back in the city Monday night but I'm quite sure it was well under 20% extract.

hogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hogie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Making the 1272 starter now and brewing Monday evening. Any name suggestions? I'm thinking Glen Rizzle.

BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BBrianBoogie » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:25 am

In the fermenter, with a little better efficiency than I was expecting :?

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:36 am

What was your efficiency?

Return to “Recipes”